Front suspension clevis fork

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djpearce

Reaction score
Are the 2003-2006 KJ front clevis forks the same?

Working on a 2006 KJ I just picked up for my daughter. The clevis forks up front are fairly rusted and I want to swap them out. The "pull and pay" by me has a few 2003 & 2004 KJs that have good clevises in them and I wanted to be sure they are the same.

thanks for helping a newbie out.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the 2003-2006 KJ front clevis forks the same?

Working on a 2006 KJ I just picked up for my daughter. The clevis forks up front are fairly rusted and I want to swap them out. The "pull and pay" by me has a few 2003 & 2004 KJs that have good clevises in them and I wanted to be sure they are the same.

thanks for helping a newbie out.

How rusty? Those things are tough and very unlikely to be rusted all the way through. Hit it with a wire brush and some paint.

djpearce

Reaction score
I had the same thought about wire brush/paint. Thought about some POR-15 for a fix.I just figured if I could get some spares cheap at the junk yard I could clean those up off the jeep then put them on when I swap out the spring/shocks

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are the same,but 05-07 the pinch bolt is smaller,and only require 45lbs torque not the 100lbs of torque of the 02-04.(as per manual)

Gyro

Attachments

• 100_0085.jpg
    100_0085.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 21

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All the same I have ones laying here from 02s, 03s, 04s, etc in varying degrees of light rust to none
So I'd just sand/ grind them down some and paint them

djpearce

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ... I pulled two from a 2003 with minimal rust and good hardware (pinch bolts and bottom bolts). Only paid $9.99 each so seemed like good insurance. So no problem (other that the difference in the pinch bolt torque spec) with swapping these out with the ones on my 2006?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reason they're cheap at salvage yard is because they never need replaced and they have plenty.:emotions34:

Bob

djpearce

Reaction score
True - but $20 is cheap peace of mind when you send your kid down the road in her first vehicle

Mine are pretty corroded, previous owner drove in on the beach a lot so was subjected to a lot of salt water.

Last edited:

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ... I pulled two from a 2003 with minimal rust and good hardware (pinch bolts and bottom bolts). Only paid $9.99 each so seemed like good insurance. So no problem (other that the difference in the pinch bolt torque spec) with swapping these out with the ones on my 2006?

No problem at all.
I have 04's on my 07.

Gyro

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thought about wire brush/paint. Thought about some POR-15 for a fix.I just figured if I could get some spares cheap at the junk yard I could clean those up off the jeep then put them on when I swap out the spring/shocks

Good idea, but (goes without saying and I'm probably telling you something you already know) make sure you don't coat the inside where it attaches to the strut.