Front Speaker Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivantate

Reaction score
Looking some new speakers as mine are crackling like crazy.

Looking for some direct plug ins of oem quality, nothing special.

Any recommendations?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did you end up getting?
Are yours w/ the infinity amps on the front speakers?
I've been looking at a few options from crutchfield as well.

ivantate

Reaction score
The refoaming my have worked, basically the outer rings had come off and the cone had torn at the edge.

I do have the infinitys which was a bit of a surprise to find the amp fastened to the speaker.

I actually went to best buy (they were really knowledgable and helpful a few weeks ago when i was wiring up a combined cb/am/fm antenna on my wrangler so thought they could have a bit more business) and got a set of pioneer 6.5" speakers and adaptors to fit them into the chrysler fixing pattern.

In hindsight the adaptors werent need as you can cut the old speakers up and use the outer rim as an adaptor. I spent some time grinding the inside of the adaptors i bought to fit the speaker on the inside near the door metal, having fitted the door cards back on i think there is room for them to go on the outside, there is alot of clearance.

I unscrewed the amps off the old speakers, drilled a couple of holes in the door below the speaker hole and ziptied the amp to the door.
Then extended the wires from the amp to the speaker using the wires that came with the new speakers, hooked them up, tested them and then ran the windows up and down to check for clearance.

ivantate

Reaction score
Overall, it probably cost me a bit more cash and time than it needed but its done and works well. I could have spent even longer thinking about it and it would be well below freezing in the garage and it would have been delayed even further.

Rear diff oil next week.....

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool. that sounds like what I was going to do.
Which part of the door did you mount the amp to?
Which pioneer speakers did you go for and how's the sound quality?

ivantate

Reaction score
I mounted just under the speaker to the inner door. Space is limited and i wanted to keep the wire runs as close to original as possible. Space is limited between the speaker screw inserts but it fits.
To do it properly some stick on foam pad would help with making sure the amp pulled nicely onto the door frame with the zipties.

I think they were Pioneer 1645 speakers, composite cone 2way. About 300w and 4ohm. Sound fine to me and the missus, although neither of us have particular tuned ears. 1 thing for sure its better than before.

ivantate

Reaction score
Thats pretty much what i did, except i keep mine down under the speakers, i cycled the windows and there wasnt a problem.

I also used zipties to hold the amps in as they dont come loose and i had plenty of them! I though a bit of hard foam or rubber betweeen the door and the amp would let it sit againt the door more nicely.

ivantate

Reaction score
Thats a good guide, i would have spent a bit more time researching it if i had known it had the upgraded system.

Did it come standard on the limited?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good guide, i would have spent a bit more time researching it if i had known it had the upgraded system.

Did it come standard on the limited?

I think the infinity system was an option.

BTW I read from that blog I posted you want the heat sink facing inside and not against the door.

ivantate

Reaction score
I did turn it around as it sits against the door better, the outer edge was flatter. I did think it was better having the heat sink pointing to free air. I dont think we will be getting the amp too hot in our use, but nice to know it is 'as recommended'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

ivantate

Reaction score
I wil have to look up our build sheet. One thing i do know it didnt have the offroad package. The rest is just guess work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk