Front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E5T0311

Reaction score
How difficult is it to change the front shocks? Specifically I need to know if I will need a spring compressor like you have to use on struts. Will the front shock installation affect alignment, or is it just unbolt & bolt with no issues.

Thanks for any help.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not fun, I have instructions I can mail you if you want they came w/ my Ranchos when I bought them, ya you will need a strut compressor to get the strut out, I recommend removing it and taking it somewhere and let them do it b/c it takes a long time by hand

E5T0311

Reaction score
its not fun, I have instructions I can mail you if you want they came w/ my Ranchos when I bought them, ya you will need a strut compressor to get the strut out, I recommend removing it and taking it somewhere and let them do it b/c it takes a long time by hand

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. I'll probably just do the rears myself and pay to let someone else have all the fun with the fronts.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need an alignment if you just change out the shocks.

Youve got to take the battery+tray out and the air box out to get to the bolts that hold the coil over in. Pop the upper balljoint loose, take the sway bar end link off(lets it droop more), loosen the clevis bolt, loosen the clevis fork bolt+remove, take coil over out.

Compressing the spring to get the shock out is the part that *****. I like taking it to a shop and letting them handle that part just to save time+stress.

E5T0311

Reaction score
I live out in the country so having someone else compress the spring would involve a 30 mile 1 way drive. Might not be as bad if there was a place close by.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an issue then.

It can be done at home no problem, it was just always easier for me since I couldnt find a compressor that would fit between the coils. I was kinda on my own as the local auto parts stores gave me a weird look when I told them what I needed. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online