Front rotors rusted on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don6one

Reaction score
I changed out my front rotors and brake pads yesterday. Living in the rust belt is tough on Jeeps especially the rotors that get stuck on because of rust. I tried using penetrating oil on the rusted on rotor but no luck. After siting overnight I tried again removing the rotor and no luck I found this mechanics helper on a Jeep Commander forum. I mixed 50/50 ATF (transmission fluid) and acetone (finger nail polish remover) and gave it a soak around the base of the lug studs and waited a few minutes and repeated. Two light taps on the back of the rotors with a 5lb. sledge hammer was all that was needed to pop the rotor loose. Be careful not to get the mix on paint as it will ruin it. I hope this helps out the next person with rusted on rotors.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solution was always a lot of persuasion with a BFH! I'm swapping em out, who cares what they look like afterward?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take a dremel with a small wire wheel and go around the hub getting rid of all the crap, then spray the piss out of it with WD40. Rarely have an issue then.

Latest posts

Members online