Front rotors rusted on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don6one

Reaction score
I changed out my front rotors and brake pads yesterday. Living in the rust belt is tough on Jeeps especially the rotors that get stuck on because of rust. I tried using penetrating oil on the rusted on rotor but no luck. After siting overnight I tried again removing the rotor and no luck I found this mechanics helper on a Jeep Commander forum. I mixed 50/50 ATF (transmission fluid) and acetone (finger nail polish remover) and gave it a soak around the base of the lug studs and waited a few minutes and repeated. Two light taps on the back of the rotors with a 5lb. sledge hammer was all that was needed to pop the rotor loose. Be careful not to get the mix on paint as it will ruin it. I hope this helps out the next person with rusted on rotors.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solution was always a lot of persuasion with a BFH! I'm swapping em out, who cares what they look like afterward?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take a dremel with a small wire wheel and go around the hub getting rid of all the crap, then spray the piss out of it with WD40. Rarely have an issue then.