Front proprller shaft bursted...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing some sort of clanging metal noise for quite some time now and finally got time to visit a garage.

Front propeller shaft on the differential's side had bursted.

The guy at the garage (former Chrysler mechanic) quoted 900 € for a brand new one.
According to what he said I have to change the entire axle since it can't be repaired.

Local mechanic told me he can fix it for 80 €

Whom should I trust? Any ideas?

Started looking around for a used one mine is a 05 2,4L 4,10 will a shaft from a 3,7 3,73 fit?

Attachments

• DSC01399.JPG
    DSC01399.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01400.JPG
    DSC01400.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 61

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine go out a couple of years back; went and found a used one for $90 (around 150 euros), put it in and have had no problems so far. Not sure on the fitment for a 2.4L but they shouldn't be too outrageous. Good luck with the search.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys !
Do you think this is normal? My car has 60.000 Kms on it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal? No.. Does it happen more than it should.. Yes... :)

Youre not the only one.. Although this is the first Ive seen that actually failed.. Usually they just make a bunch of noise but Ive not seen the cv actually come apart like that.. Sure its happened though..

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me the part no. for an export 2005 2.4L Eng(ED1)/6SPD M/T NSG370(DEH) Liberty sport with VIN 1J4G6C8135W674993?
All the parts lists I have don't include the part number for 2.4L (ED1) engines.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the seal broke on mine a few years ago and the uni got full of mud and rocks , they are rebuildable

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may be better off going to a salvage yard/yards and getting the parts from other Jeeps to convert to a U-joint style shaft
you need the front out put from a matching T-case
a yoke from a dana 30 and the drive shaft from what ever you can that has the proper U-joints to match the yoke and the T-case

This is one of the things I plan to do if/when the front shaft on the KJ goes