Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LI02liberty

Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience with this wonderful board. The other day I heard a whirring noise coming from the front of the jeep thru the 4 wd selector handle area. I brought it to my friends shop and had him look at it. He said that the front diff was a little low on oil so he topped it off and rotated the tires. I didn't hear the noise when I drove it home. When I went to work the next day the noise was back. You could only hear it with the windows up and radio off. Probably why I didn't here it when I drove it home from the shop. Any way I remember a long time ago when I met the wife and she had the jeep she had a similar problem with it and she brought it back to the dealer where she had the engine replaced when THEY BLEW IT UP! and the tech had told her that they had left a wire hanging down when the replaced the engine. So I crawled under the this morning and sure enough the zip tie they used to hold up the 4 wd selector cable where they broke the factory clip was boken. The cable was rubbing on the top of the front drive shaft. So I put a new zip tie on and my noise is gone. You could tell something was rubbing on the drive shaft it had a shiney spot in the middle of it. I thought I would post this in case anyone else had a similar problem because it was hard to see where the cable was rubbing that how my friend missed it. the noise would would in crease with speed. You could here it from 10 mph thur 40 mph. It would getlounder the faster you went. After 40 you really could not here it. Hope this helps anyone who has a similar noise.