Front end noise like a chain rubbing on floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals. Got a Front end noise (front axle /propshaft) like a chain rubbing on floor, nothing when cold but gets louder when warm. every time i take it to the shop the mechanic can't find what it is. Its going in again this week but im looking for some ideas of what it may be. I thought it may be somthing like a cv joint somewhere, but i'm now thinking its more to do with a shaft not seating after coming out of fourwheel drive. Any ideas greatly received :confused:

cuz62

Reaction score
i have the same problem with mine,i thought it sounded like i had a driveshaft rubbing on the road,its ok for the first mile or two then it starts to get loud,i have been told its probably the front propshaft its meant to be a common problem!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The propshaft isn't too difficult to remove - if you have the means, I'd remove that and take it for a drive (just make sure you DO NOT put it in 4wd).

If it's silent after a few miles of driving, just leave the shaft out and look for a replacement. If the noise is still there, it could either be in the transfer case, or in the front differential/halfshafts (cv's).

cuz62

Reaction score
just removed the front propshaft and the noise has gone,looking for a replacment now,have been told the rear joint which has gone is non servicable

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8mm bolts hold the driveshaft to the transfer case and front diff.

Why not?
Driveshaft's out, as long as you don't put it in 4wd while you're moving, shouldn't be anything bad

Maybe I am just thinking Select-Trac...wouldn't it cause problems if there were no load on the front axle but there was on the rear? I am thinking with the Select-Trac open diff, it'd be like a constant burn-out with an open diff. ;)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. in FT4wd it'd do that.

It was fun running around front driveshaftless last year in low range on the street.

Mark

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Thanks GUYS
Took jeep to the shop because it’s got a warranty but after having it for six hours could not locate problem after I told them what the problem was! Set the trip to zero when I got there guess what after telling me they took it for a six mile test the mileage read 2/10th of a mile. Brought it home got underneath back end of the front prop was like a pr--k in a shirt sleeve, 26mintues to remove on my drive noise gone, so the service manager of garage got an earful. The point is the prop shaft is £300 ( on order) fitting should not take more than an hour or two, that’s £100 £400 in total, warranty service interval is 6000 miles at £ 170, that’s twice a year for me, for the next five years, comes to £1700 plus any other work that may not be covered, because he could not be bothered he’s lost out I’ll go back to doing it myself
So THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP, BEEN AN EYE OPENER Mark
Kick.gif

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks GUYS
Took jeep to the shop because it’s got a warranty but after having it for six hours could not locate problem after I told them what the problem was! Set the trip to zero when I got there guess what after telling me they took it for a six mile test the mileage read 2/10th of a mile. Brought it home got underneath back end of the front prop was like a pr--k in a shirt sleeve, 26mintues to remove on my drive noise gone, so the service manager of garage got an earful. The point is the prop shaft is £300 ( on order) fitting should not take more than an hour or two, that’s £100 £400 in total, warranty service interval is 6000 miles at £ 170, that’s twice a year for me, for the next five years, comes to £1700 plus any other work that may not be covered, because he could not be bothered he’s lost out I’ll go back to doing it myself
So THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP, BEEN AN EYE OPENER Mark
Kick.gif

Good on ya. You're just never sure with some shops...

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought it was just me that got screwed in the UK!!!!!!! :D Glad you got to the root of the problem Mark. Its always better to do something yourself if you can cos then you know its been done right rather than some walking grease monkey thats dashing about trying to bump his bonus up!! And yes I can call them grease monkeys cos I used to be one so I am entitled to.... Hehe. Hey your jeep would look nice with my running boards on, which just happen to be for sale in the for sale section!! Its your lucky day!! You can buy them with the money you will save at the garage. Hehe. Glad your sorted Matey. Steve :D