front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I just had a local junk yard call me saying that they got in an 03 liberty v6 4x4 and it has the drive shaft I go by this afternoon to pick it up. Is $100 a good price for a used front Drive shaft thanks guys

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the conditions of both front and rear CVs of the front driveshaft.

Shipping is an additional $10 from drishaftparts

to answer your question, buy a stock one.
You can buy a replacement from Driveshaft & CV Joint Components as well.
Don't know what liberty you have so here are the links

JEEP Liberty 02-07 3.7L Auto
Jeep Front Driveshaft - 31,5"(52111597AA)

JEEP Liberty 02-07 3.7L Manual
JEEP Liberty 02-04 2.4L Auto
Jeep Front Driveshaft 29.3"

JEEP Liberty 04-06 2.8L Auto
Jeep Front Driveshaft - 32,5"

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got down to the junk yard this morning too get the drive shaft. And yeah someone had stolen it off the truck. The guy said it was there yesterday when they got the truck in but it wasn't there this morning. That sucked cause the odometer Sid out only had 120k miles on it. From what the yard but said the husband got mad at his wife and cut the wiring harness out of it. So I snagged the front bumper cover off it and the mirror switch lol

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got me a renegade light bar and a front drive shaft this afternoon. All for 200 man this has been a great day.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so after I got the drive shaft back j one and all started to get under the jeep to install it and noticed it was the wrong dang shaft. The one I picked up had a cv joint on the side going to the front diff but a u joint going to the transfer case. Can't win for losing lol but I did manage to get the light bar for"$50 bucks now to decide what lights to"put in it

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so after I got the drive shaft back j one and all started to get under the jeep to install it and noticed it was the wrong dang shaft. The one I picked up had a cv joint on the side going to the front diff but a u joint going to the transfer case.

If you got the driveshaft out of a KJ, and the transfer case end has the same style mounting flange as your old one, then that's not a "wrong dang shaft", it's an upgraded one. By the way, that's the same style front driveshaft (cv/u-joint) the newer (KK) Liberty's have too, but those have a different mounting flange than the KJ. Obviously, Chrysler felt a u-joint on the case side was a good idea as well, likely due to the common failure rate of the KJ's cv joint. Keep the one you got and use it with pride, that was a very nice find. If you don't want it, I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft was not designed to run a ujoint, some have tried and ended up with vibrations
Take the shaft back, get the correct one and be done without issues

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Front driveshaft was not designed to run a ujoint"....where there is a single u-joint at both ends.
Pinion angle mismatch is not an issue when one end of the driveshaft has a cv joint.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it back as it would bolt up it was in really good"condition and had the cv joint rebuilt already but I couldn't use it since my kj didn't have the right flange on the transfer case.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK driveshaft has a transfer case end u-joint from the factory, but the flange is square w/4 mounting bolts. Could be the flange on the transfer case was retrofitted on the one you got the shaft from to accept the newer style shaft.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive shaft

Remember there are 3 different front drive shaft lengths, so make sure you get the one you need. You will also need 12 (8mm drive) bolts to bolt it in.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...

JEEP Liberty 02-07 3.7L Auto
Jeep Front Driveshaft - 31,5"(52111597AA)

JEEP Liberty 02-07 3.7L Manual
JEEP Liberty 02-04 2.4L Auto
Jeep Front Driveshaft 29.3"

JEEP Liberty 04-06 2.8L Auto
Jeep Front Driveshaft - 32,

Don't recall exactly where to measure driveshaft but seems it was from weld to weld. Anyone confirm or correct me on this?

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK driveshaft has a transfer case end u-joint from the factory, but the flange is square w/4 mounting bolts. Could be the flange on the transfer case was retrofitted on the one you got the shaft from to accept the newer style shaft.

CCI Driveline in MI makes a conversion kit that does not require a new yoke. I got one and installed it last week. Its double u-joint at the tc and cv at the front axle. Its as smooth as silk.
Jeep Liberty KJ 4X4 Front Drive Shaft - CCIDriveline.com

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasted all day trying to work on both boots today. The transfer case wasn't bad at all, the kit came with 2 gaskets so I used one up front and one on the back, even though there wasn't a cutout for one on the back.
The differential side though,,,, Still trying to figure that one out. First of all the freaking small clip took forever, tried putting it on for about 2 hours then went to the store and bought a hose clamp.
And the big issue is when I put the new, differential side, head on and tried to nest it in, the balls fell off. I put them all together but now the head refuses to move. It doesn't extend and doesn't play around on shaft like the old one does. I pretty much tried everything. The only thing I can think of is grease that doesn't let the whole contraption to move? So I figured maybe once I put the shaft in, driving will loosen it up. Well since it doesn't shorten I had to pry driveshaft in place. None of my bolts holes are aligned so I didn't even finish the job. Spent pretty much all day on it.
I need help with a diagram or explanation on how to put the the parts of the head together so it moves and how loose does the new head need to be? Old one is fine (everything moves out and in), worse case scenario I will just put the old head on since it seems fine, I just hope i can take that driveshaft out because it is really snug in there.

robles

Reaction score
This seems like a very interesting discussion, bookmark first
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online