front drive shaft??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to the stealership today, had them look at my 03 jeep, they came out and said it was the front drive shaft thats making the noise, not the transfer case? said something about the splines on the front shaft being the culpret. i recorded the sound with my phone, so i'll try to include the sound. has anyone ever herd of this happening to the liberty? with the front drive shaft?
ok, it wont let me add sound. but its def. something thats metal.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, well, its popping or grinding or something. only in 4x4 tho. not in 2wd. when it hastorqe on it is when it makes noise. there gonna replace the front drive shaft $165+($100 deductable) its def. metal tho. sounds like the tcase but i guess it wasn't. i'll find out when they fix it and try it out.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, well, its popping or grinding or something. only in 4x4 tho. not in 2wd. when it hastorqe on it is when it makes noise. there gonna replace the front drive shaft $165+($100 deductable) its def. metal tho. sounds like the tcase but i guess it wasn't. i'll find out when they fix it and try it out.

That's cheap. Is it under warranty?

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, gonna cost me $100 to get if fixed. would it be safe to use the 4x4 if i have to til i get it fixed. susposed to get 10 inches of snow tomorrow.

gonna cost 275, but i have a 100 deductable.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this a common accurance for the liberty's front drive shaft to go bad?

from what I read ,yes
if it is only going to cost you $100 the get it fixed
if you have to pay to have it fixed then I would simply replace it with
a front shaft from another newer model Jeep and convert to U-joints
provided that you plan to keep it

you will not find a shaft that is the right length
just find a good one ,XJ or TJ should do fine
then convert the T-case and front yoke to a U-joint style
then have the shaft cut to length

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its being fixed under warranty. just waiting for the part to come in. they told me that it would be ok to use the 4x4 when needed(i have the part-time) and it won't hurt nothing, so they say...... here in the northeast i kinda need the 4x4....lol...

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A grinding & popping noise in 4WD is what my old 231 case did when it went bad.

I think the T-case is still a possibility, but for $100, have the driveshaft replaced, if they are right, problem solved, if they are wrong, you get a new T-case & driveshaft, which you would have needed eventually anyway.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to the dealership b/c they ordered the driveshaft, and guess what?? they ordered the wrong one.???? so now i have to wait til next week. you think they would know what part to order?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
went to the dealership b/c they ordered the driveshaft, and guess what?? they ordered the wrong one.???? so now i have to wait til next week. you think they would know what part to order?

Crap happens. But in the meantime it's still driveable. Not like it is broke and sitting at the dealer or something.

Dave