Front differential leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
My 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport leaks from the front differential housing. Should there be a gasket between the cover and housing? Mine does not have one. There isn't a Jeep dealer within 30 miles of where I live (Chattanooga) so I took it to an independent shop to have it looked at. They said no gasket was available and sealed it with silicone. Still leaks. Took it back and was told it was probably just overilled and they checked the fluid level and said it was ok and shouldn't leak anymore. Still leaks a couple months later. First Jeep product I've owned and I am very pleased with it except for the leak. How do you suggest I stop the leak?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
define leak?
getting wet at the tubes?
leaving spots?
from cover?

if it is from the cover the fix is easy but must be done right
step 1 - remove cover
step 2 - CLEAN ALL OLD RTV from BOTH cover and housing
step 3 - reinstall following instructions on RTV
as a side note I only use OEM gray RTV and never have leak issues and I dont just use it on the Jeep's I also use it on the crane/truck I work on

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's leaking from the seam between the cover & the diff housing then likely the surfaces weren't completely clean, the cover is damaged from somebody prying it open or if your mechanic is using only silicone he may be tightening the bolts too much squeezing the silicone out.

I change diff fluids often and always use silicone sealant, no gaskets. I just snug up the bolts.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't a Jeep dealer within 30 miles of where I live (Chattanooga) so I took it to an independent shop to have it looked at. They said no gasket was available and sealed it with silicone. Still leaks.

I think you need to remove the front diff to even take the cover off. Unless they had it for a couple days, they didn't seal anything if it was leaking out of the diff cover. Someone will let me know if I'm wrong tho. Like said, a picture would help more than anything.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think you need to remove the front diff to even take the cover off........

Even if stated in MY '02 FSM, not '06, it can be done without that %$"#, I don't remember how though.

I did that a couple years ago, same reason of the OP,but a friend of mine, a mechanic, was helping me, so he took
care of that.. Just a matter of putting a screwdriver to hold the cover, but, again, I don't remember.

Yes, don't know why, but front diffs seem to be prone to leaking :shrug:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check my "Intermediate Shafts Suck" Album. You don't need to remove the front diff, or an LCA to remove the cover. Just have to cut the lower diff mount bracket forward attachment bolt and replace it after. Doesn't take all that long to do. Be careful when removing the diff cover. It's kinda flimsy and the mounting flange may be prone to warping when pryed on. I have had my cover off and reinstalled it with ZERO leaks. Just has to be done right.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My transfer case is Currently in sweat mode ...will monitor and may have replace split half gasket in future. LEAKS ARE FUN!! NOT !!
38034[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Under powertrain warranty sweat is not covered but a leak still is Hmmmm...

Attachments

• TransferCaseLeak.jpg
    TransferCaseLeak.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
Diff Leak

Thanks for all your responses. Now I know what to look for and do when I redo the repair,

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My transfer case is Currently in sweat mode ...will monitor and may have replace split half gasket in future. LEAKS ARE FUN!! NOT !!
38040[/ATTACH]"]

Under powertrain warranty sweat is not covered but a leak still is Hmmmm...

Mine is doing this also. Last year I cleaned the residual fluid from the outside with brake cleaner, and "patched" the seam/seal with RTV. It's not leaking for now. I know it's just a band-aid, but hopefully it'll hang on till it's nice enough outside to fix it properly.

Attachments

• TransferCaseLeak.jpg
    TransferCaseLeak.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Edit for Tom:
Sorry me Bad too early this am so here is the corrected photo.
..ya oops.
I was trying to say the original poster had a leak in front differential, which takes GL5 gear lube.
My sweating (potential upcoming leak) is from the transfer case. which takes ATF+4.
Just making sure this got sorted out so Tom's comments below were justified, now corrected I hope.
Here is the edited photo.
38042[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• TransferCaseSweat-1.jpg
    TransferCaseSweat-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

barryh

Reaction score
Leaking KJ front Diff

As far as I can see the main reason for leaks from the front diff are hits(on raised rocks etc) that spring the silicone joint on the cover. The best practical way to fix is to get out the angle grinder and cut through the1/2"(it may be 12mm) bolt that holds the front support to the rubber mount. The bolt cannot be rmoved without dropping the suspension arm, and seriously that is too hard. Have a new 12mm bolt available as a replacement, and that can be fed through from the opposite direction when you reassemble. The bolt has to be exactly the right length or it will foul the suspension. Trim it up on the lathe or grinder.
I also found that the 8mm bolts around cover were a fraction long so I trimmed them back to ensure that they were not bottoming out before tightening fully on the cover. As I remember I took off 2mm, but check for yourself.
One last point that is worth knowing is that the diff does not fall down when you remove the bolt through the mount. Good Luck barryh. By the way it is over 100Deg over here in OZ--

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see the main reason for leaks from the front diff are hits(on raised rocks etc) that spring the silicone joint on the cover. The best practical way to fix is to get out the angle grinder and cut through the1/2"(it may be 12mm) bolt that holds the front support to the rubber mount. The bolt cannot be rmoved without dropping the suspension arm, and seriously that is too hard. Have a new 12mm bolt available as a replacement, and that can be fed through from the opposite direction when you reassemble. The bolt has to be exactly the right length or it will foul the suspension. Trim it up on the lathe or grinder.
I also found that the 8mm bolts around cover were a fraction long so I trimmed them back to ensure that they were not bottoming out before tightening fully on the cover. As I remember I took off 2mm, but check for yourself.
One last point that is worth knowing is that the diff does not fall down when you remove the bolt through the mount. Good Luck barryh. By the way it is over 100Deg over here in OZ--

There's a pic of it in my "Intermediate Shafts Suck" album.