Front Differential Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question.

MY FSM says the front diff requires 80W-90 while the owners manual says it requires 75W-140.

Which is correct?

2005 Limited with 3.7, Auto and Selec-Trac (if any of that makes a difference).

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Split the difference and run 75w110. I run it in all diffs in all 4 of my Jeeps. Different years specified different weights. Guess the mfg couldn't make up their mind.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Regional Variety Flavors

I do not know what region you are from, however most would say just use GL5-75-140 front and rear diffs. This offers good protection if it is warm out, lots of highway, and you wheel often or trailer.
Flavor 2 :
In the great white North though if it is cold and below freezing where I mainly use the Kj only for winter, I use GL5 synthetic 75W-90 front and rear, as this makes it less sluggish when it is -20 ,and the diffs have a hard time staying warm with the thicker "hot" 140 in there. Better fuel economy with 90W when it is cold too, less resistance.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Split the difference and run 75w110. I run it in all diffs in all 4 of my Jeeps. Different years specified different weights. Guess the mfg couldn't make up their mind.
I just want to know why the descrepetency and which is right. I am currently running 75W-140 since I had the manual and not the FSM when I first changed my diff fluid.

I do not know what region you are from, however most would say just use GL5-75-140 front and rear diffs. This offers good protection if it is warm out, lots of highway, and you wheel often or trailer.
Flavor 2 :
In the great white North though if it is cold and below freezing where I mainly use the Kj only for winter, I use GL5 synthetic 75W-90 front and rear, as this makes it less sluggish when it is -20 ,and the diffs have a hard time staying warm with the thicker "hot" 140 in there. Better fuel economy with 90W when it is cold too, less resistance.
Western NC. We get a wide range of weather. I do a good share of towing and off-roading, so I think 75W-140 is fine. I'm just curious as to why the two are so different.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to know why the descrepetency and which is right. I am currently running 75W-140 since I had the manual and not the FSM when I first changed my diff fluid.

Western NC. We get a wide range of weather. I do a good share of towing and off-roading, so I think 75W-140 is fine. I'm just curious as to why the two are so different.

Typical mistake by the MFG. You know you can trust everything they say about your vehicle. :rolleyes: