front brake vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe1573

Reaction score
Hello, I hope some one can help with a little problem I'm having with my wife's 04 columbia edition. I noticed the vibration six month ago and was told by my wife it was going on for a long time before I noticed. Only when braking (hard or soft) the hole front end vibrates, the harder you brake the more it vibrates. It gets to the point the steering wheel will shake right out of your hands. This is not griding, Its more like a pulse.
My wife told me she told the dealership about it when it was in for a oil change, they rotated the tires and told he it will go away. It didn't help so she decided to live with it. Once I found it I toke it to my mechanic and had a hole brake job done, front, rear, pads, and new rotors. Thinking it was warped rotors and it was about time for a brake job any way. It fixed the problem for a day and then it was back. My wife didn't tell me for about three weeks that the problem was back. Replaced the front rotors and pads again and the brake fluid cap(because it looked like it was not seating well), and its back again.
If anyone can help, it would be great. I don't want to keep throwing money at a problem and not fixing anything.
Thanks, Joe

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it very odd that youve replaced them twice and it returns the next day. Usually(Just saying) if someone rides their brakes to much it will usually take awhile for them to warp again, not the next day.

What brand pads(and type) and brand of rotor are you using? Napa rotors seem to be good from what I read.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings

Have you checked the wheel bearings? My mom's Grand Cherokee had a similar problem, I took it to have the rotors replaced, and they said it was a wheel bearing. They replaced it, and problem solved.

The probelm does sound like warped brake rotors. Did they check the master cylinder?

joe1573

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
When I replaced the brakes the second time I did it my self, thinking I could do a better job then the shop did. I check out the suspension, joints and brakes. Everything looks to be in good shape, nothing that I could see or shake out of the ordinary. I don't remember the brand of parts I buy , but they are middle of the road price wise.
The jeep drives straight, doesn't pull or shake. There are no signs of problems during acceleration, cruising or turning. Ive even checked the tires for uneven wear and that's not a problem, but I do plan on a new set soon.
The weird thing is at very slow speeds and very lite breaking it feel like the brakes are being pumped on and off slowly. I thought maybe ABS but the lights not on and been told that the light comes on if there any problems with that system.
I though working on rotaries engine was hard, this thing has got me stumped.
Joe

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think it's warped rotors. I know it's wierd that they warped again 1 day later...are you 100% sure that the caliper pins are free and that the calipers aren't binding? I'd have to guess that it could be possible to warp a new rotor that hasn't really been seasoned by a stuck caliper creating a ton of heat in that one day.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not the ABS, thats the rotor pushing the brake pads back in the caliper.

You do not see any 'hard' spot in one of the rotors ( blue )...?

You don't necessarily need to see blue for it to be warped badly. Blue means it's really toasted. My wife's G6 has no discoloration or anything to indicate warpage. Rotor looked great. Like the poster said though, braking from a high speed would almost rip the wheel out of your hands. I opted to have them turned (won't get into the turn/do-not-turn debate again) and all has been well for the past 2,000 miles or so - the vibration is nonexistent.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed - blue means toast IMO. Blue rotors were ragged on way too hard. I've turned a pair damn near purple when I had my old Firebird. Those got chucked.

joe1573

Reaction score
The old rotors had no sign of warping and discoloring, I even tried putting a straight edge across them, they looked just as good as the new ones.
I thought of turning the rotors while still on the car. I never had this done before and only hard of this recently. Has anyone done this before? does it work? cost?
Joe

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you do anything with the brake fluid?

also, calipers and shoes torqued to spec?

joe1573

Reaction score
Checked fluid level - yes, change fluid - no.
Every thing done by the book.
I even tried stopping the jeep with just the E-brake to rule out the rear brake as part of the problem. I really didn't think it would work but I tried it anyways.
I think it looks like I will have to pay to have the rotors turned on the jeep.

Latest posts

Members online