front brake noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 jeep liberty...
changes:
- new front pads
- new rotors
- new caliper pins
- fairly new pad clips(metal things on either side of pads)
- greased everything
- no ABS

issues:
- at regular speed and/or down hill braking to stop some times squeals, sometimes quiet but good braking.
- at low speed after hard breaking and/or pumping the pedal, the front driver side brake sounds like a rattle/rumble. more present when pumping. i can sometimes feel it in the pedal.
- occasionally hear a pop/click noise when first time braking or after low speed hard braking.

other factors:
- need alignment

thoughts?

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it the squeal is after the brake job?

Also i think the "fairly new pad clips" you mentioned are the anti-rattling clips.

Assuming this problem is all after the brake job
1. did you put lube behind the pads that make contact with the caliper?
2. Are there shims with the pads?

I'm not an expert in this but I remember reading that a new brake set up could squeal and would take time for the material of the brake pad to bed on the rotor.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah... never had squealing before. should also point out they are the el crappo pads from auto zone.

ignore the rattle clip, im thinking of that clip that goes on the rear brakes.

1. yes, lubed the calipers.
2. i made sure the shims are secure on the pads. they dropped on the last pads i had and rub against the rotors.

would the pins cause this type of issue? the one with the rubber sleeve was giving a lot of resistance but still had a spring to it. maybe add more lube to those?

I take it the squeal is after the brake job?

Also i think the "fairly new pad clips" you mentioned are the anti-rattling clips.

Assuming this problem is all after the brake job
1. did you put lube behind the pads that make contact with the caliper?
2. Are there shims with the pads?

I'm not an expert in this but I remember reading that a new brake set up could squeal and would take time for the material of the brake pad to bed on the rotor.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you didn't clean the sliding pins and relube them I would but I don't think that's the cause of the squealing.
check the surface of the pad to make sure it is nice and smooth.

Could try a different type of pads.

Last edited:

mattw

Reaction score
El cheapo pads squeal on these Libertys. You need a good quality ceramic pad.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the cheap pads, which type did you get. I have Duralast Gold semi metallic on my minivan at the moment, they don't squeal.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the proper bed-in procedure after install? A pretty important step that often gets over looked? Also did you clean the oil film off of new rotors before you put them on? If not that could be an issue.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are the basic duralast ones.

for teh sqeaks: removed, hosed down either side of roter with cleaner, wipe, repeat. can only guess i didnt get all the grease off the first time.

for teh rattle/rumble on driver side:
- caliper side pad did not move as freely on the clips as the other. reformed the clip and lubed.
- caliper rubber sleeve did not show signs of swelling and came out. removed both, wiped down, wiped out the inside of the mount, lubed, and removed excess grease.

rattle/rumble seems to have gone away.

thanks all for the input!