Frankenlift help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so even though you buy the remans from Napa, which would be made to oem specs, you would still have to get them cut down?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
JBA is the only one that I know of that offers that service/product... and lots of people run over 3" of lift with stock cv's ... ask Tom I believe his are original and he is over 4" I think.

I wouldn't mind a little settling in the front .. so I could stop worrying about them :D but it just looks so awesome at 23"

Another way to look at it .. and someone pointed this out here recently. I'd give them credit if I had any sort of memory :D

The majority of KJ's on the road are sagged to the point that they are running at a similar angle, just reversed ... look at your cv's before you lift ... I'm sure they are pointed upwards quite a bit .. mine were anyways.

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBA sells a version of the OEM CVs with the face of the inner housing machined down 1/2". This allows for the cvs to operate at a steeper angle.

I still however, don't have any idea how they keep the race and ball bearings in the housing since the groove for the retaining clip would be ground away. Rev Mudd?

It's hard to get the picture unless you've seen what they look like inside. Once I cracked my first one open it made sense.

Oh and ... Napa sells a re manufactured OEM CV axle but they are talking about in the US of A ... I ordered my from Detroit axle. Prices up here are just insane.

To add to what Cardhu said about running what you have until it breaks .. sometimes the CV is just fine but the boot wears out due to the fact that it hardened or binds on itself and wears a groove and splits... and shoots grease all over the place. 15 bucks for a new boot and 1/2 hour of your time and it's as good as new. If they get noisy or the race/balls are damaged then you need a new one.

I'm gonna stay off the computer right before bed since my brain fails to function well.:evil: Luke hit that dead on.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my KJ should be fine without the CV's, its almost like new, previous owners never drove it. I'm going to give it my best to install this myself too, I don't really trust the shops out here, no one has ever installed anything like this on a Liberty in my area, I cant wait to get this done, ordering the lift next week, ucas 2 weeks after, then install everything.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cut CV's refers to the CV joints being (cut) a different length than the normal stock ones. They are cut to a different length because of the extra angle created by the amount of lift. The stock CV's can only go so far. I believe the limit for the stock ones is right at 23.50. Higher than that then of course you need the cut CV's. From all I've read most don't need the cut CV's. Did I leave anything out?:favorites13:
yes you did
need to send you back to first grade again and no kissing the teacher this time

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hey tom, are you running stock cvs? please elaborate..

Yes running stock
little background, first lifted around 20,000 miles (in 2005 ), now has 192,000. Left side CV made it to a few months back when it finally gave up the ghost. Right side had to be replaced once due to the intermediate shft/CV wearing out, then was replaced once due to stick going through the boot.
Replaced with Remanned ones from NAPA

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that doesn't sound like i need to get new cvs then, thanks for everyones help, I have successfully been able to figure out what i need to do for this lift. Now, can anyone point me to a detailed post on how to install/ what tools will be required for this install? does anyone know if the Frankenlift or the UCA's come with instructions? Ive read a couple posts about the install already but the more the better

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're in Vancouver why not ship to somewhere just across the border. Drive down, pick up, pay duties, and save a fortune in brokerage fees.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're in Vancouver why not ship to somewhere just across the border. Drive down, pick up, pay duties, and save a fortune in brokerage fees.

brokerage is really only 35 bucks, its the tax that blows. The majority of my JBA order was marked as made in usa and paid no duty. In the end my 1200 dollar order was subject to 120 bucks or so total.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Brokerage increases with the value of the goods shipped ... on my Frankie it was $85. But your right in that GST that makes up most of the charge.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brokerage is not the problem, thats like $30 or something, the duties however are about $270 for a product made in Australia with a hefty price tag. I would have driven down to Blaine or something already if i had a passport, and then theres the taxes on top of that. Really ***** living here sometimes

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I asked Heather to mark the country of origin as US ;) ... she didn't promise anything but it worked. I only paid GST and Brokerage.

Last edited:

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey that sounds like a good plan, i will ask for that favor too. Do you not have to pay pst on this stuff then? what makes it exempt?