found out whats wrong with rear upper control arm **PIC**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the tri-link UCA.

Does ANY other vehicle use this design?!

Had a feeling O'Riellys was garbage...
Lot's of other vehicles use that very design.Great at stock hieght but not so great when you lift it.Those body side bushings are designed to be level(or very close) and then they will last alot longer,once lifted they wearout very fast.

OhmegaMike

Reaction score
I've got the same problem. Upper control arm was replaced 7 months ago, with about 4,000 miles on it. The bushings are shot, and the rear axle is "steering" the KJ when you accelerate or decel. Mine is also lifted 2" so it's eating up the bushings fast. Plus I'm sure the control arm is Chinese aftermarket junk.

How bout some energy suspension poly bushings to fit these things? There's gotta be one to fit...

Anybody found good replacements?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the same problem. Upper control arm was replaced 7 months ago, with about 4,000 miles on it. The bushings are shot, and the rear axle is "steering" the KJ when you accelerate or decel. Mine is also lifted 2" so it's eating up the bushings fast. Plus I'm sure the control arm is Chinese aftermarket junk.

How bout some energy suspension poly bushings to fit these things? There's gotta be one to fit...

Anybody found good replacements?

That "steering" effect you mentioned is probably bad lower control arm bushings. Mine was doing the same thing going over diagonal bumps and uneven roadways - like someone in the back seat trying to steer with me and not able to keep up with me. Check those too.

If you also need to replace the upper arm, here ya go...

Click on this link, then click on numbers 18, 19, or 20 and look for the HD versions of the upper control arm, bushings and ball joint.

The HD stuff ain't cheap but it'll last you longer than 4000 miles...

Bob

RescueRoy

Reaction score
Above posts very interesting as I have developed a 'clunking' noise from the rear. Have done a visual inspection but can't see anything obviously wrong but I am sure it is worn bushings or ball joint on the control arms.
Is there an easy way to determine if the problem is coming from the upper or lower control arms?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot's of other vehicles use that very design.Great at stock hieght but not so great when you lift it.Those body side bushings are designed to be level(or very close) and then they will last alot longer,once lifted they wearout very fast.

^^^that

Wouldn't a device like this help?

JeepinbyAl.com - Detail1 - JBA-LEX4 - Link Extension - Jeep Liberty KJ (2002-2007) - JeepinbyAl.com

I mean, wouldn't that make it level and alleviate the extra stress? I've always been wondering about this but never really got an answer. It says it's for a 4" lift though, would it be too much for a normal OME lift? If so, then we need a 2" version of it.

I've had a clunk for well over a year now and every once in a while I feel like the Jeep is going both ways at once giving me a funny feeling in my stomach. Was way worse before new lower control arms. When I replace the upper control arm I want to fix it for good by buying a mopar version and a link or something to make it level like it was designed for.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had one of those on for two days, yes it leveled it, but just didn't look strong enough to handle what I put mine through.
BUY from Mopar and they'll last quite a while

I'm working on a replacement for mine ( well as soon as I take the time to finish it ) That will hopefully work better
My lift in the rear puts me over 4 inches
but in 173,000 miles have had to replace mine 3 times
but one was a cheap Chinese type replacement that only lasted a few months ( had to get it since MOPAR was on back order)
I also do an old hot rodder trick to limit the movement of the bushings some

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Above posts very interesting as I have developed a 'clunking' noise from the rear. Have done a visual inspection but can't see anything obviously wrong but I am sure it is worn bushings or ball joint on the control arms.
Is there an easy way to determine if the problem is coming from the upper or lower control arms?

Over the last 3-4 days our Rig has developed a clunk in the rear as well.
Time to pull it apart and start inspecting...

RescueRoy

Reaction score
Have solved the "'clunking' noise from the rear" problem. Took the vehicle to a roadworthy test facility where they jiggle the wheels and suspension around. Identified a loose bolt on the front of one of the lower control arms.
Took me about 2 minutes to tighten and no more clunking!
Relief!!

Latest posts

Members online