forgive me, I know I'm stubborn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, again about my soon to be lift.....

927s are here, Teraflex extended front bumpstops are on their way, my wallet is ready for good
front shocks ( OME or Bilstein, I know ).

Now, what is a bit of a nuisance to me is the rear (...) ....axle!!!

I know I'll probably have to go the 948/new and longer shocks/hockey pucks route, but I was just
wondering if, maybe, Raybestos or Moog coils with just a spacer could do...( Rockauto).
I guess the vehicle would be leveled anyway, as she always had the front leaning downwards.

Believe me, I hate compromises, but having to make mods just to amend Jeep's poor engineering
really pis..es me off!!! :favorites68: Also, let's pray I won't need new UCAs, as subsequent 'cursing' could
even cause a tornado ...

I'm a bit nervous as the front axle job will include new R&P and whatever will be required to do it
right and would like to be out of this nightmare ASAP...

Hey, it's OK if You say my idea ***** smashfreakB.gif

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So have you priced out a pair of new springs and the 2.5 inch spacers yet, bet its close to what it is just to bite the bullet and buy the OME 948s, plus the ride will be much better with the OMEs

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You Tom for being so tolerant... :badger_1:

¡I do agree that jobs must be done the right way from the very beginning!!!

I just was thinking about 'el cheapo' 'cause I'm a bit old school ( best parts on front axle...) but yeah,
total saving could be just about hundred bucks and at the risk of re-doing the whole thing after maybe
less than one year so it probably ain't worth while..

PS : shall change my sig soon, as I'm about to get rid of those KYBs ( didn't really love those...).
Probably bad OE coils had their role in screwing them up :favorites68:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey been there several times over the last 40 years of driving/building/rebuilding and oh yeah tearing things up ha ha
You keep thinking "what if........" trouble is most times that what if ends up costing more in the long run

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Just bite the bullit and buy the rear Old Man Emu coil springs!
You want to save some money?

Then four hockey pucks it is and a couple of bolts, nut's, flat washers and lock washers.

There, saved you a few bucks!

Remember, cheap is expensive in the long run!

You will be glad you forked out the extra dough!

And your KJ will ride so much better.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tnx guys. Sorry for the delay, but have been off-line this weekend....

Now, as I'm helping a friend in 'overhauling' a MY '03, the rig also needs new suspensions,
it sagged so badly it looks almost like a Compass... :happy175:. Owner is aware that he'll have
to fork out a lot of $$$ too... (A trouble shared is a trouble halved :( )

Do diesel version OME coils fit a gasser? That heavy ( the '03)??!! Yes...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are asking if the CRD OME coils would work on a gasser the answer is yes
BUT
some fun facts and figures
stock front coils are rated at 310 lb
OME 927 are rated at 400 lb ( which is what most use even the Frankenlift uses these.
Now the OME 790s for a CRD are rated at 500 lb. so unless you have an aftermarket steel bumper or say a Backbone and winch they are going to be very stiff. Would not be a comfortable ride.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You Tom, You're my saviour...!

I didn't want to state it clearly, but the '03 is 'heavy' ( windows and panels... ) so yes, 500 lbs.
might be 'just enough' .... lol3.gif.
Uh, I've just noticed rear jouncers are shot and it has a torn C/V boot, definitively not well
taken care of nono.gif . Hope new owner ( friend ) will be a better KJer :whip: .

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I agree with Tom here, if you are not going to fit a aftermarket bumper and winch, or the Backbone and winch combo, it's best to just stick with the OME 927's.
We'll be swapping out the two year old 927's out next spring for a pair of OME 790's.
Don't get me wrong here, they are not sagged or bagged but we want the front stiffer than it is with the 927's as the future see's an ARB front bumper!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, the diesel thing is about friend's KJ, which is heavy because, how can I say, was customized
in order to withstand 'close encounters' rollinglaugh.gif with let's say 110-160 grains of 'low flying' lead :happy175:.
Hence the weight ( just lifting the hood is ...uuggh ).No data available but I guess it's like 4/5 guys
were sitting in the vehicle at all times. Winch or ARB bumper :eek:? The poor KJ would probably need a
truck's front axle....

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's a T4 - T6 put the 790s on it the JBA25 or 948s will match up in the rear (i'd personally go with the JBA25s but that's my opinion) if the rear gate is filled as well

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's a T4 - T6 put the 790s on it the JBA25 or 948s will match up in the rear (i'd personally go with the JBA25s but that's my opinion) if the rear gate is filled as well

More likely a T-four... but heavy anyway. I'll advise him to go the 790/948 route...
Luckily enough '03 is fitted with the 45RFE, so it should cope with the extra weight.
Now let's hope C/V is still... but that's another story, will keep You posted..