Fog lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blamc70

Reaction score
The stock fog lights in my 02 KJ aren't working, nor is the fog lamp indicator light coming on. I checked the #19 20 amp fuse and verified that it is good. Does the indicator light come on if both bulbs are blown? Just trying to see if it's likely the bulbs, the switch, or something else. I just hate to go buy new bulbs if it's more likely something else. Any suggestions?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indicator should come on even if bulbs were both shot. Both bulbs bad at same time is really pretty unlikely. If you're certain you checked the correct fuse, a switch would be next logical cause.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya The correct fuse aint always what is suppose to be either.
I've see them listed in the manual only to be different placement than the actual panel.
Best to check them all while you are there, and continuity test them for certainty.

blamc70

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the other fuses, then the switch. Thanks!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a relay under the dash panel, too. I'd try swapping that if the fuses are OK.

blamc70

Reaction score
Didn't know that. I looked in the fuse box under the hood, but didn't see a relay there. Where under the dash panel?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remove the knee panel under the steering column, it is up and to the left

blamc70

Reaction score
I checked the fuses... all are good. Now for the relay under the knee panel. How exactly do I remove that? Does it just pull out? I don't see any screws or anything like that, but didn't want to just pull on it for fear of breaking it!

blamc70

Reaction score
Got the panel off. I found out if I grab it at the bottom with my fingertips and pull out and slightly up it comes off pretty easily.

I found the relay bank. I've had a hard time finding a good picture of what the KJ relay bank *should* look like, but from what I've been able to find, I suspect that my fog light relay might be missing? I bought this used, so who knows what was done to it before I bought it.

Take a look at the picture... should the fog light relay be where the open socket is? If so, I did try moving one of the other relays over there to see if the fog lights would come on, but they did not... so I moved it back to where it was. If the open socket isn't it, any idea which one is the fog light relay? Incidentally, these things are HARD to pull out! Make swapping around difficult.

I appreciate your help tracking this down.

Attachments

• 20151209_212048.jpg
    20151209_212048.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29

BradWalls66

Reaction score
Got the panel off. I found out if I grab it at the bottom with my fingertips and pull out and slightly up it comes off pretty easily.

I found the relay bank. I've had a hard time finding a good picture of what the KJ relay bank *should* look like, but from what I've been able to find, I suspect that my fog light relay might be missing? I bought this used, so who knows what was done to it before I bought it.

Take a look at the picture... should the fog light relay be where the open socket is? If so, I did try moving one of the other relays over there to see if the fog lights would come on, but they did not... so I moved it back to where it was. If the open socket isn't it, any idea which one is the fog light relay? Incidentally, these things are HARD to pull out! Make swapping around difficult.

I appreciate your help tracking this down.
Hey Blamc70, Sorry for replying to an old thread. I am wondering if you ever found out anything about the fog lights on the liberty sport. I went to a pick and pull and got the factory lights with the factory harness but when i plugged it in.....nothing. All the other lights works through the harness but not the fog lights. Relay or a fuse.....any ideas? Thanks, Brad

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you look at the link in the post just above your previous one? :cool:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Blamc70, Sorry for replying to an old thread. I am wondering if you ever found out anything about the fog lights on the liberty sport. I went to a pick and pull and got the factory lights with the factory harness but when i plugged it in.....nothing. All the other lights works through the harness but not the fog lights. Relay or a fuse.....any ideas? Thanks, Brad
Was your multi-function switch already the 'fog light' version?

BradWalls66

Reaction score
Was your multi-function switch already the 'fog light' version?
Hey DadOSix, No it was not, I had to add the fog light switch by replacing the turn signal and windshield wiper control assembly. I only had the sport model, no oem fog lights. After a few hours of searching I think I found a possible solution.....Under the steering wheel there is a Junction box with a number of relays. Apparently, one of them is for the front fog lights # 10. My # 10 is empty so I will try that.....when I get a chance.