****** Fluid Leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mention replacing your cooler lines. Some people here will give you a major spankin'. (Don't ask me how I know...)

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i think i saw your posts.. did you end up replacing the entire line?
If so how much did the line run you?

No, I didn't. I ordered the lines from the local dealer. When they came in, one of the mechanics there (who I know and trust) told me that the lines are a real pain to replace, and would be even more difficult, if not impossible, without a hoist. He has given me advice before about other work, but this time suggested that I may want to have them do it, where they have a hoist. He advised against cutting the lines and clamping on hose. I had first noticed the leak when the weather was cold, but by that time was warm. He said the crimps usually quit leaking in warmer weather, and until the leak gets worse, that he wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the lines. Sure enough, I cleaned everything up, and no leaks.

Now that it's cold, I see the fluid seeping out again. I suppose one of these days I'll have to do something. For now, I have a new line set just sitting there!

I can't remember the cost, but somewhere around $50 seems right.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't. I ordered the lines from the local dealer. When they came in, one of the mechanics there (who I know and trust) told me that the lines are a real pain to replace, and would be even more difficult, if not impossible, without a hoist. He has given me advice before about other work, but this time suggested that I may want to have them do it, where they have a hoist. He advised against cutting the lines and clamping on hose. I had first noticed the leak when the weather was cold, but by that time was warm. He said the crimps usually quit leaking in warmer weather, and until the leak gets worse, that he wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the lines. Sure enough, I cleaned everything up, and no leaks.

Now that it's cold, I see the fluid seeping out again. I suppose one of these days I'll have to do something. For now, I have a new line set just sitting there!

I can't remember the cost, but somewhere around $50 seems right.
Time to find a better mechanic.I just replaced both cooler lines on a '05 KJ yesterday and it took less then 30mins on a lift.Not hard at all but would be a little more difficult on the ground.

That was a nice ticket and made my day and all cake work..........

Replaced trans cooler lines(both)
Replaced PS pressure hose
Replaced battery
Replaced radiator,upper/lower hoses,t-stat,and coolant flush
Replaced front struts and rear shocks
Replaced both front diff seals
Replaced front driveshaft
Did F/R brake job
Replaced spark plugs,did fuel induction cleaning
Did trans flush
Replaced t-case fluid
Replaced F/R diff fluids
Installed 4 new tires and a alignment

A 15.6 hour ticket all done in about 5 hours,was like a $3500 bill.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to find a better mechanic.I just replaced both cooler lines on a '05 KJ yesterday and it took less then 30mins on a lift.Not hard at all but would be a little more difficult on the ground.

That was a nice ticket and made my day and all cake work..........

Replaced trans cooler lines(both)
Replaced PS pressure hose
Replaced battery
Replaced radiator,upper/lower hoses,t-stat,and coolant flush
Replaced front struts and rear shocks
Replaced both front diff seals
Replaced front driveshaft
Did F/R brake job
Replaced spark plugs,did fuel induction cleaning
Did trans flush
Replaced t-case fluid
Replaced F/R diff fluids
Installed 4 new tires and a alignment

If you don't mind me asking do you know how much the cooler lines ran you??

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not my vehicle but I believe our cost was $20 some dollars(whole sale and no tax),that is not what the customer paid though(it is a business and have to make money also).

Great, it would hopefully be boughten my dads buddiy (who worked at a chrysler dealership/bodyshop the same one my dad use to manage) and hopefully be his cost.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to find a better mechanic.

Oh? You're the one who said it could cost $500 to install a block heater in a Libby 4x4. This guy installed mine, and they charged me 1 hr labor ($72). You also said 5-7 hrs labor to replace both front axle seals. Again, this guy did the job and I was charged for 2.4 hrs. I'm not complaining!

Glad I'm not a customer at your shop!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh? You're the one who said it could cost $500 to install a block heater in a Libby 4x4. This guy installed mine, and they charged me 1 hr labor ($72). You also said 5-7 hrs labor to replace both front axle seals. Again, this guy did the job and I was charged for 2.4 hrs. I'm not complaining!

Glad I'm not a customer at your shop!
I don't set the labor and when quoted those times it was just a guesstimate since I new the book time for one side and just doubled it.You got lucky with the block heater,those are a nightmare to install and doing one for only 1 hour labor is giving it away for free.

Oh and I glad your not a customer since you'd probably be in the 95% that don't care about there vehicle and will not fix it till it 100% needs it then complain about the price.

BCLiberty

Reaction score
just changed my cooler lines, leaking in the same spot as yours. Took a few hours to change, but wasn't to bad to do. I couldn't find the correct release tool, so i just used a small pick to pull out the clip from the fittings. All in all only cost me $130 for the lines and some atf.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.