First time for everything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started up the Jeep after getting gas and I got an Instrument Panel light stay on. I looked it up and found it was something to do with fuel or emissions issue. It also read that if I didn't have the gas cap locked in fully it would generate this warning light.

I checked the gas cap, and clicked it clockwise 2 more times. It also reads on the gas cap that it could cause a warning if the cap is not fully closed (never read this b4, just never noticed it).

The light is no longer on but I was wondering why this light would occur, and why would they generate this warning if your gas cap is not fully locked (it couldn't fall out and the door was closed). It read that if the light is blinking there could be a catalytic converter issue and to have it serviced immediately.

Thanks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The evap system puts pressure on the gas system to check for leaks. If the gas cap is loose it cant build up pressure. therefore throwing a code.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info!! Realized that the tank needs to be pressurized for proper flow, etc... The cap plays the part to seal any possible exit for liquids, gasses, etc..

Thanks again!