First Mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2004 Liberty Sport for two years and the time has come for new tires. And if I'm getting new tires, why not do a few other things.

My question is, if I have about $1500 to spend, (including tires) what are the best values in making my KJ a little more capable while off the pavement. As it is my only vehicle, it needs to be able to do the daily grind and lots of miles on the superslab also.

Where do I start?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote tires tow hooks or tow points in front and a rear hitch with hook or clevis at rear.
Thats my 2cents. Thats better than no cents or non cents and if you have $1500.00 you have some cents LOL O and a front end alignment. But if you do that it will make you have no cents.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We'll say tires run $700, so use the other $750 for hooks ($100) Huskyliners ($300) and skids ($300) and take the other $50 to by a deep dish Giordano's pizza... :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with that guy above
save up and watch for sales and used parts like hooks etc.
Have to figure a decent lift is going to be 7-750 or so with everything, skids can be as cheap as 150 and up
Tires anywhere from 700 and up for good ones
But what we all need to know is what you have now
maybe you already have skid plates and hooks so there's part of the problem solved already
Also what and where are you going to use it
As far as using it for a DD
Does 148,000 miles with over 115,000 of those lifted count??:shrug:
you can have your cake and eat it too with a KJ

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what we all need to know is what you have now
maybe you already have skid plates and hooks so there's part of the problem solved already
Also what and where are you going to use it
As far as using it for a DD
Does 148,000 miles with over 115,000 of those lifted count??:shrug:
you can have your cake and eat it too with a KJ

She's bone stock now.
Mostly gets used for normal boring stuff. Some logging roads getting in and out of hunting spots. Along with some trail riding with Wranglers, Rangers, and such. Nothing too extreme, basic weekend warrior stuff.
Tow hooks are on the list, just trying to find the best ones, and skid plates are also high on the list.

Just wanna prove to the "Jeep snobs" that the Libby is more than just a pretty face:icon_twisted:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, if you want off-road (like do group trail runs) you'll need to have tow-points and skids. a lift is nice, but if you're doing any serious off-roading, then i would get your skids, recovery points, and some serious all-terrains, or a mild MT (Yokohama Geolander M/T's are on my list.) :)

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me to a good source of skid plates and tow hook kits.

I have a hook for my reciever hitch in the back, just need a set-up for the front. And which skidplates are most useful.