First Car, Mod Prices!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpc1192

Reaction score
Alright guys well my mom just got a 05 Liberty from her company.
It's a dark green/brownish color that I really like, and its got leather and a sunroof. The only problem is no 4x4 but I'll survive in Florida.

So basically she tells me I can either have that car or a 00 White Expedition, and I'm almost positive I'm going to pick the Liberty. (Better Size/Faster/Better Fuel Economy)

Ok so I was just curious as to how much money it would cost to put a surf rack on the top, and maybe some bigger off road looking tires.

Alright Thanks Alot!

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my liberty, but you might want to research the fuel economy before commiting, i have all kinds of non aerodynamic mods and get like 15 MPG.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Liberty gets around 15-17 City and 18-21 Hw. The driver, terrain, Climate, they all play a role in the mpg you get.

Bigger tires will only hurt the mpg. 245/70/16's will fit with mild to no rubbing if the stock rims are used with no lift.

Welcome to JeepKJ. :)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with 245/70/16's in a A/T tires such as Bridgestone Dueler Revos or BFG's. You can even take a look at the Yokohama AT's. A nice tread pattern will complement the KJ.

dpc1192

Reaction score
what tires would look the biggest/ look most like mudding tires?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tires would look the biggest/ look most like mudding tires?
what kind of offroading are you doing, most off roading "looking" tires suck in a lot of conditions. if you have decent OE tires, wear them out first.

what do you need to mount on a rack? bike, kayak, surfboard? I have a yakima loadwarrior, but keep in mind a rack will kill MPG, trust me.

dpc1192

Reaction score
what kind of offroading are you doing, most off roading "looking" tires suck in a lot of conditions. if you have decent OE tires, wear them out first.

what do you need to mount on a rack? bike, kayak, surfboard? I have a yakima loadwarrior, but keep in mind a rack will kill MPG, trust me.

Surfboard

Also I wouldn't be doing much offroading at all, I just really like the look haha

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surfboard

Also I wouldn't be doing much offroading at all, I just really like the look haha

get a yakima or thule kit and hook that up. if you end up getting a "cage" then you can expect to lose some MPG, and have added noise.

tires, any A/T tire will give you that look, although, you are looking at worse MPG again, as well as an added cost in buying them. I would wear out what you have first, then switch. A/T tires are horrible in water, mud, and snow *usually*

dpc1192

Reaction score
Maybe I would splurge for a cheap lift, and some tires.

What size lift/tires would you recommend for that, bigger look, but not too impractical? Pictures would be nice!

Also could I put my board on a cage or not?

oh and I'm waiting untill I need new tires for sure.

dpc1192

Reaction score
ok so basically how much for...

2.5 inch lift
32 inch tires
black wheels (rims?), or maybe chrome since I have the chrome front around the lights.
and yakima or thule roofrack+surfboard pads or straps...

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2.5 inch lift
32 inch tires
black wheels (rims?), or maybe chrome since I have the chrome front around the lights.
You'll need to do alot of cutting and triming of the fender wells(and pounding down the pinchweld) to fit 32" tires even if you don't plan on wheeling.It all depends on how much rubbing you can stand,and how much turning radius your willing to give up.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
you do know w/ all that stuff your planning to put on it, your gonna get crap for mileage...

just some food for thought

Tjdreams

Reaction score
Maybe I would splurge for a cheap lift, and some tires.

What size lift/tires would you recommend for that, bigger look, but not too impractical? Pictures would be nice!

Also could I put my board on a cage or not?

oh and I'm waiting until I need new tires for sure.

Putting 32's and a 2.5 lift on a 2wd Jeep that will not see much 4-wheeling is as impractical as you can get.

Unless you have something else more economical to drive as your Daily Driver With the way gas prices are going the smart move would be to get yourself a good rack that can be easily removed when not in use for your surfboards and forget about the lift and bigger tires.

Believe me I went this rough with my TJ and quickly went from 18 mpg to 8 mpg. But I also have a P/U for work and now the KJ for a backup DD.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting 32's and a 2.5 lift on a 2wd Jeep that will not see much 4-wheeling is as impractical as you can get.

Unless you have something else more economical to drive as your Daily Driver With the way gas prices are going the smart move would be to get yourself a good rack that can be easily removed when not in use for your surfboards and forget about the lift and bigger tires.

Ditto......

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2.5 inch lift
32 inch tires

it's your car so do what you want, so I will answer your questions, or try.

2.5 lift, I dont know for jeeps but can imagine roughly 500 bucks??
new tires, I would say, for a A/T tread, 700 for 5 new
black wheels, buy steel, probably 300 bucks for 5
yakima rack plus equipment, probably 600 bucks

all in all, I wouldnt be surprised if you spent 2000 to get it going. You can do a lot cheaper if you wait for deals, buy used, etc. but to do it all up front with new, I would expect at least those prices.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont go bigger than 245/75/16 tires. General Grabbers are a good all around A/T. MPG will still suck though.

Rustys suspension lift is a good lift 2.5-3in lift. The Franken lift is also a 2.5in lift but you will get around 3.5in in the end.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your looking at a couple grand including the labor to have sum1 put it in if you cant. You will have to trim your fenders to fit in 32's