Fire Investigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motherto2

Reaction score
Can I ask a question? I've seen different years for the Liberty recall. I've heard on the news and read through 2007, then I've also read that in 2005 the gas tank was moved and is not a problem. Which is correct? Man, I haven't even purchased the 2006 Liberty for my son (it's having a paint touch up and the arm recall fixed next week) and all of a sudden there are all these issues.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is this just now becoming an issue? The Liberty is over 10 years old now and it's not like the gas tank has moved since it was new. Seems to me this has some damn tort lawyer's name written all over it...

I, for one, am concerned the cure will be worse than the disease if you know what I mean.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the tank moved in 2005 - at least not to my knowledge.

Yeah, it didn't. It did get 1 gallon larger. I think the 04 had a 19.5 gal tank and in 05 it was changed to 20.5 if I remember correctly. I think the tank size started off in 02 at 18.5 and changed sizes a couple of times but the gas tank position is the same.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong about the exact tank capacities through the model years.

Many many vehicles on the road with rear mounted gas tanks and only recently did the mfg. start moving them forward in all vehicles....not just jeeps.

Dave

motherto2

Reaction score
Did anyone see the segment on CBS news last night about the fire investigation? I was doing some research a few days ago, and someone had mentioned that if you put that protective plate over the tank that is typically used to protect it when four wheeling, that it would help protect it. I'm a little nervous because I'm picking up the '06 for my son tomorrow, and he travels back and forth to college through the mountains and on some high speed highways. I was thinking about adding the plate, 1 - because it might help, and 2 - in case he gets it in his head to venture into the woods :). If you think this is a good idea, can someone tell me which one I should get? It's an 06 Liberty sport. Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not worry about it at all
News makers make all of these little mole hills into large mountains
Millions on the road with gas tanks in the back and no issues
Buy the KJ and know that your son is in a good safe vehicle
If you dig enough you can find something wrong with every car ever made!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The investigation* affects 1993 to 2004 Grand Cherokees. Also covered are 1993-2001 Cherokees and 2002-2007 Libertys. All three have gas tanks under the rear bumpers."

* note that this says investigation. They are not under recall. The real scrutiny is on the Grand Cherokee

Government expands probe of Jeep gas tank fires | news - Home
Funny they don't list the Wranglers which have the ga stank is the same spot also,or the old Willy's where the gas tank is under the front seat.Guess the cause of the investigation was brought on by ********* Wrangler fanboy's.