Fire Extinguisher went OFF INSIDE my Liberty !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO JOKE !!

The other week, my wife and I where loading some stuff up in the back of the Lib. I had just flipped the rear seats down and began loading stuff.

All the sudden I hear this loud hissing noise. It sounded like a tire leaking. I'm like WTF ?? I was parked next to a side walk.... I started looking at the tires when I suddenly see SMOKE billowing up from underneath the front passenger's seat!

Now I'm really like WTF ????

So I hurry and open the front PS door and that's when I realize it's fire extinguisher powder. BUT! It's still coming out FAST!

Turns out the fire extinguisher was one of those little white kitchen types. Somehow the pic got pulled (lost) and got activated when I flipped the rear seat over.

Talk about a FREAKIN mess to clean up !!!!!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap............

Did you get it cleaned up ok?

My fire ext is beside the drivers seat. It is an all steel one. I will check the pin tomorrow morning.

Dave

(edit....just saw your other post. I don't know how you would get it out of the nooks and crannies unless you go to a local FD and ask them?)

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vacuum most of it then use an air compressor to blow the rest out and vacuum again. repeat until clean

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap............

For the most part, Yes. I gave it a real good vacuuming and wipe down.

It's been <30 degrees here since it happened, so I haven't spent anytime with the Q-tips etc...

I've been pondering getting it Professionally detailed, but don't feel like forking out $100 !

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch out for that crap. It will get everywhere. I have used them on a few fires, and every time made a big mess. I used a dry powder on an electrical fan fire in a bathroom, and somehow it magically spread throughout several rooms! Fire departments will not know how to clean it up, we just make the messes! Good luck cleaning it up, the pin should be held in with a zip tie like safety device, for all you other who dont want a surprise mess.

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap............

My fire ext is beside the drivers seat. It is an all steel one. I will check the pin tomorrow morning.

Dave

(edit....just saw your other post. I don't know how you would get it out of the nooks and crannies unless you go to a local FD and ask them?)

Do you have a picture of your placement? I want to put one in the Jeep but not sure exactly where would be best.

Thanks,
Dan

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen in my old work truck
learned a few quick lessons
1 a 9000# truck can stop quicker than you think
2 that stuff burns the nose
3 you can cause a good little traffic jam
with a 5# fire extinguisher
4 mount them pull pin up

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen in my old work truck
learned a few quick lessons
4 mount them pull pin up

Better yet, get a beaded ziptie, which will keep the pin in place, but break when the pin is pulled. These are standard on most fire extinguishers.

Latest posts

Members online