Finally lift is done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I wanna thank the various folks on here who have given me valuable info about lifting my KJ. I would also like to give a huge shout out to Marlin at Jeepin By Al for the awesome service.

Ok now down to the nitty gritty! after four days of working on it I have completed(damn rusty NY parts are a ***** to get off).
What I put on it:
Front
Tommuds 3.5 front end lift (HD)
ALS UCAs
.50 Clevis spacer
ALS top plate

Rear
OME 948s with an extra upper ISO
Bilstien shocks
Hockey puck bumpstop

Problem now is I got more lift than I planned and now have to put shortened shafts on the front. Oh well it wouldn't be right if one of my projects went perfect.:emotions34::emotions34:

I will add pics when I get them online.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First of all I wanna thank the various folks on here who have given me valuable info about lifting my KJ. I would also like to give a huge shout out to Marlin at Jeepin By Al for the awesome service.

Ok now down to the nitty gritty! after four days of working on it I have completed(damn rusty NY parts are a ***** to get off).
What I put on it:
Front
Tommuds 3.5 front end lift (HD)
ALS UCAs
.50 Clevis spacer
ALS top plate

Rear
OME 948s with an extra upper ISO
Bilstien shocks
Hockey puck bumpstop

Problem now is I got more lift than I planned and now have to put shortened shafts on the front. Oh well it wouldn't be right if one of my projects went perfect.:emotions34::emotions34:

I will add pics when I get them online.

Shortened shafts??? What??
Also have you gotten it aligned yet?
Did you tighten the UCAs after full weight was on the KJ?
All of that will affect how high it is.
You didn't get over 3.5-3.75 inches when settled in so still scratching my head on shortened shafts

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also have you gotten it aligned yet?
Did you tighten the UCAs after full weight was on the KJ?
All of that will affect how high it is.
You didn't get over 3.5-3.75 inches when settled in so still scratching my head on shortened shafts

It goes for alignment tomorrow and I will recheck all of the torques after that is complete.

I was also scratching my head about the height but from looking at my cv shafts and the angle they are sitting I can see the need to go with the shortened shafts real soon. Although I am going to reassess that decision once the alignment is done and everything has settled a bit.

Ok now for the stupid question. Could my decision to use the HD springs have an affect on the final height. I am not complaining I am actually liking where it is sitting, just have to correct for it. All part of the fun of owning a Jeep, right?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It goes for alignment tomorrow and I will recheck all of the torques after that is complete.

I was also scratching my head about the height but from looking at my cv shafts and the angle they are sitting I can see the need to go with the shortened shafts real soon. Although I am going to reassess that decision once the alignment is done and everything has settled a bit.

Ok now for the stupid question. Could my decision to use the HD springs have an affect on the final height. I am not complaining I am actually liking where it is sitting, just have to correct for it. All part of the fun of owning a Jeep, right?

I've been battling being about an inch lower up front since mine settled. I have the HD (crd) springs up front on the Tommudd kit. I finally moved the clevis up to a half inch spacer and got the front to around half an inch lower than the rear but once I added the bumper I was back down to an inch lower up front.... My guess was beacsue I went with the CRD/HD springs up front instead causing me to not get as much lift. But I could be wrong since that's just an assumption I had. Now I got not clue what to do to get rid of this inch lower up front aside from remove my bumper/winch though. Drives me crazy and I can't add any more to the clevis at all. My last measurement was 22" up front both sides and 23" rear (one side was just a tiny bit lower in the rear)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

We still don't really know how much lift you have. What is your measurement from hub to flare? You will lose some height after the alignment.

Just to help you with Tom's ? ... It's not the torque of the UCA's that is the issue it is when they were torqued. The full weight of the Jeep must be on them before you torque.... if not you may get some phantom lift.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I believe he's reefering to the JBA cut hub cv axle shafts (3/8" cut from inner hub). I put them on mine when I replaced my wheel bearing hubs and worn out intermediate shaft. Although, the stock axles still have plenty of droop left on a street driven lifted suspension. I wouldn't go out of my way to replace the cv axles just for the heck of it, unless you plan on doing some serious twisting on the trails.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Needed to do / and or check the UCAs etc BEFORE you have it aligned not after. HD springs have nothing to do with it, its all we have done here at my place, close to 30 lifts on KJs and none are " too high " or need anything different. You really need to give us some true measurements before we can help or offer suggestions.

MEASURE FROM MIDDLE OF THE HUB TO BOTTOM OF THE FLARE IN FRONT, ALSO PICS IF YOU THINK IT WOULD HELP.

Hopefully you will loosen then retighten the UCA bolts and the sway bar links before alignment ........hint hint..............

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe he's reefering to the JBA cut hub cv axle shafts (3/8" cut from inner hub). I put them on mine when I replaced my wheel bearing hubs and worn out intermediate shaft. Although, the stock axles still have plenty of droop left on a street driven lifted suspension. I wouldn't go out of my way to replace the cv axles just for the heck of it, unless you plan on doing some serious twisting on the trails.

He just well maybe but they aren't shortened shafts but could be what he means
Don't need them anyways.

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I have been slow to answer, I am reading all your responses and taking all of it in. I am going to loosen the UCAs and retorque them since I can't remember if the full weight of the vehicle was on the tires. I know I had weight on the tires when I torqued them but can't remember if the full weight was off the jack. Once I do that and the align me I will get the hub to fender measurements. I started with 18 in the front and 18.25 in the back. Again bear with me I appreciate all of the input.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you put its full weight on the ground and bounce it up and down as much as you can. you want it to settle down to it's riding height as close as possible. sometimes just lowering it to the ground without bouncing it will still allow it to set a little high

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you put its full weight on the ground and bounce it up and down as much as you can. you want it to settle down to it's riding height as close as possible. sometimes just lowering it to the ground without bouncing it will still allow it to set a little high

It'll take a lot more than that to settle the springs lol a few good bounces won't do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It'll take a lot more than that to settle the springs lol a few good bounces won't do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure, I'm a fat boy and don't have enough lead in my a** to make one bounce a few times :happy175::shrug::happy175:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about settling the springs - the tires on IFS vehicles will hold it up a bit after jacking up the front...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about settling the springs - the tires on IFS vehicles will hold it up a bit after jacking up the front...

Yes know full well, just joking around.
But at M&Gs jack yours up before anyone gets there and slowly let it down, It'll stay a bit higher and then have everyone going nuts trying to figure out what you did to yours now! :happy175::happy175:pulled that on a buddy of mine at least 5-6 times :ROFLJest::ROFLJest:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell me about it - I got myself with that with my original Ironman front springs. Let it down and was all happy it was sitting level then watched it slooooooowly settle about an inch and a half. :angry94:

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys after loosening the UCAs this morning and jumping up and down on it for two hours, then taking it for the alignment the measurements come out as 22" in the front and 22.25 in the rear. which puts me right at four inches with my starting measurements being 18 front, and 18.25 rear.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

This is more in the range I expected, again thanks to everyone for the assistance, the advice and recommendations from everyone has helped immensely.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
There ya go ... so that's 3" of lift .. you should be fine without any fancy shafts ;) You just need some man tires now .. :D

jlday70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There ya go ... so that's 3" of lift .. you should be fine without any fancy shafts ;) You just need some man tires now .. :D

That is next. It looks ridiculous with those tiny things on it:thumbsdown::happy175:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That is next. It looks ridiculous with those tiny things on it:thumbsdown::happy175:

yup .. we've all been there :waytogo:

Even so... if I had it to do all over... I would have waited until after my post sag (2nd) alignment before buying new tires. Then you don't risk uneven wear while she settles.