finally got my Liberty! question about auto door locks--

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt2wheels

Reaction score
Finally sold by bike Christmas Eve (someone bought it for a Christmas present, can you believe it!?). Picked up a sweet clean EARLY '02 Sport. Couple questions:

1. how can I disable the stupid automatic door locks? :-k There's nothing about programming them out in the owner's manual.

2. Those who have done it, Is there a significant difference between the early (longer and better pre-lowered) springs and the OME springs? If I put an ARB bumper on the front I'll more than likely change the front springs anyway, but if there's no huge difference I'll stick with factory rear springs and put in some better shocks. The thing rides really nice now actually, those early springs make a pretty big difference.

Party on Wayne!

mf

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to disable the auto door locks is to use an EVIC; since your Lib probably doesn't have one then you would need to go to a dealer or service center that can use a DRB III to reprogram the BCM. The rolling locks do seem annoying at first but you get used to them pretty fast.

K9 DAD

Reaction score
I wanted to disable mine as well, but as stated above, you get used to them. #-o

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic door locks suck. Everytime I drive down to the store they would lock me in. I'd forget and try to open the door only to realize I had to unlock them again first. Annoying! I disabled mine using the method outlined in the owner's manual. The only thing is apparently the rear gate is exempt and it still locks automatically. #-o So are the '02s different? Can they not be disabled the same way the newer ones can?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about (only) while the engine is running, the doors won't open from the driver or passenger door because it was auto-locked?

Just wondering because when I shut off the engine, the doors just open (and the door unlocks while pulling the door handle). Both front doors do that; rears don't.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
if you have the EVIC, i think there is an option where when u shut off the engine, or put in park, the locks open up....

im used to it..i lock the thing up if not in it, even when im in it. so when I press the fob. it's usually to unlock all buttons
got into the habit of flicking the locks before i get out too...