Finally did my own oil change......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did 3 oil changes yesterday and one was the KJ. Cost me $38. I go with mobile 1 full synth. Oil was $25 which aint bad but I hadda buy the filter from advanced auto and it was $13. I usually get it from walmart b/c it's $6 cheaper but they didn't have any. I have paid for 1 oil change since i go the KJ which is a good thing since a full synthetic oil changes around here cost about $70-$90 depending on where you go. I take my old oil to Advanced auto. They got free dumping there.

On my first oil change with my KJ I crushed the crap out of the oil filter while taking it off b/c some A-Hole at firestone put it on super tight during its last oil change. I have a one size fits all oil filter thingy for the rachet thats get tighter has you put more pressure on it. Since that time I've never crushed a filter. :D

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Just bought the stuff I need for TWO changes. Wal*Mart had Full Synthetic on sale for $18.00 for the 5-quart jugs. Bought two of those, and two filters... Will be changing soon.

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did 3 oil changes yesterday and one was the KJ. Cost me $38. I go with mobile 1 full synth. Oil was $25 which aint bad but I hadda buy the filter from advanced auto and it was $13. I usually get it from walmart b/c it's $6 cheaper but they didn't have any. I have paid for 1 oil change since i go the KJ which is a good thing since a full synthetic oil changes around here cost about $70-$90 depending on where you go. I take my old oil to Advanced auto. They got free dumping there.

On my first oil change with my KJ I crushed the crap out of the oil filter while taking it off b/c some A-Hole at firestone put it on super tight during its last oil change. I have a one size fits all oil filter thingy for the rachet thats get tighter has you put more pressure on it. Since that time I've never crushed a filter. :D

I too run Mobil 1 Syn...I always buy my filter at autozone and get my oil at wal-mart. It's usually a little bit cheaper. Well, changed my oil two weeks ago and when I went to Wally world to get my oil the 5 quart jug is usually like $23...when I was checking out the dingy cashier scanned it and rang up as $8.23! I couldnt believe it! So, I walked out and put that jug in the jeep...walked right back in and purchased 3 more :) I guess something was wrong with the bar code. Needless to say, Im stocked with oil for 12,000 miles :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too run Mobil 1 Syn...I always buy my filter at autozone and get my oil at wal-mart. It's usually a little bit cheaper. Well, changed my oil two weeks ago and when I went to Wally world to get my oil the 5 quart jug is usually like $23...when I was checking out the dingy cashier scanned it and rang up as $8.23! I couldnt believe it! So, I walked out and put that jug in the jeep...walked right back in and purchased 3 more :) I guess something was wrong with the bar code. Needless to say, Im stocked with oil for 12,000 miles :)

Sweet deal. That happens there sometimes at walmart. One time i bought a $18 toolbox for $6. I bought 2 instead. I also got a $25 lamp for $5 there. I put the lamp shade and the lamp together to see how it looked and I left it that way. Well the cashier only scanned the tag on the Lamp shade. :D

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you found somewhere to recycle your oil... If not I found this lookup service after being rudely surprised that Napa wouldn't take my used oil.

1-800-CLEANUP or www.earth911.com

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear Quaker State is made by Shell. Now I'm pretty much sold on it.

I'm going to continue over-paying for Mobil1. Its a matter of me trying to make up for the way I treat my engine. "Guilt Oil" if you will.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do you pay for it? I get it from walmart for $25.

1 case Mobil 1 (6x 1qt.) = 46.89
Filter (Napa) = ~$8-10

At napa of course.

I've not seen a deal like that at my local walmart, but I wouldn't put it past them. Sam Walton has more money than Jesus.

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 case Mobil 1 (6x 1qt.) = 46.89
Filter (Napa) = ~$8-10

At napa of course.

I've not seen a deal like that at my local walmart, but I wouldn't put it past them. Sam Walton has more money than Jesus.

You should check again. I get the 5qt jug and M1-209 filter for about $30-$33. Recently my walmart stopped selling the mobil 1 filters so i gotta find another place.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pay $20 for a 5 quart jug of Valvoline SYN and $8 for a Pureone filter.

Theyve started carrying the Mopar oil filter at my walmart but its only for the Hemi and the 4.0's.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, $20 for a 5 qt jug of Valvoline synthetic 5w30 at wallyworld. I have been using Mopar filters that I pick up at the dealer for $5.50 since I drive by there a lot and it is convenient.. It's not the difference in price for me. Mostly I do it because I hate anyone messing with my jeep and that way I always do my own routine maintenance at my convenience.

Dave