Fender Flare Hardware

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spisters

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum, I have an 06 KJ Sport, silver, mostly stock, and I am thinking of spicing it up a little.
I would like to remove my fenders and paint them black, but I have a question about what type of hardware to use. I have seen people replace the plastic rivets and hooks with metal bolts, and originally thought that was a great idea, very strong and available, until my wife pointed out that perhaps the clips are plastic to create a better point of failure for the flairs. After all, I'd rather replace a whole bunch of plastic clips then an entire flare or even worse have to replace a quarter panel.
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, I searched the forums and couldn't find it.

Thanks
-Nate

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I personally would stay with the plastics, for the reasons you already mentioned.

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its simple man, simply take some time and tape off your fender flares, after u tape the edges, put newspaper or plastic bags or something around it in a pretty good size area to compensate for the overspray, after that, sand them down with some fine sandpaper, i used like 220 grit if i remember right, then use your black paint. i used truck bed liner in a can from Advanced auto parts, looks awesome, and is durable. besides that, you dont have to worry about scratches ;)