Feeler to sell my K&N Intake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOsworth

Reaction score
So, newb to the forum so I can't just start posting in the "for sale" area yet.

Just recently bought my 2010 Liberty. It replaced a 300C. So, within the first week I start picking up some basic stuff for it. One of them is a brand new K&N 77-1562KTK intake kit. So, I like it well enough..BUT... the wife not so much... "makes too much noise". So, before I throw it up on E-Bay I was figuring there might be someone on here that would like it for basically a hundred off for being 2 weeks old... I'd want to get $150.00 for it.

Let me know.......

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to COMPLETELY shut you down...but I wouldn't waste your time trying to sell it here. Basically, it's established that any CAI is just a hot air sucker that only decreases performance and mileage (this is what most say and what most go by).

Sorry :( Really don't mean to rain on your parade. Just figured I could save you some time.

JOsworth

Reaction score
Not to COMPLETELY shut you down...but I wouldn't waste your time trying to sell it here. Basically, it's established that any CAI is just a hot air sucker that only decreases performance and mileage (this is what most say and what most go by).

Sorry :( Really don't mean to rain on your parade. Just figured I could save you some time.

Yea, I figured I'd have to go the E-Bay route...

No harm no foul...

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You'll have much better luck there anyways ;)

The great unwashed mass' don't know that it's actually a hot air intake.

JOsworth

Reaction score
You'll have much better luck there anyways ;)

The great unwashed mass' don't know that it's actually a hot air intake.

OK, I'll bite......

See, I've run "short ram" intakes with washable filters for years now on everything I've had.... Started with my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. Funny thing is it made the most difference in responsiveness in those (a 2003 Auto then a 2004 5 speed). I had to fabricate one for the 2005 Jaguar S Type 3.0 I had. After the Jaguar it was a 300C. In the 300 the only benefit I got from it was a satisfying growl and ease of maintenance from the filter. To be honest it was coupled to a hand held tuner so it may have helped but I attribute most of the performance gain on the Hemi to the tuner, not the filter.

My experience with these things is they do help. They don't turn 200hp engines into 400hp monsters, but they do make a difference. Most of the difference I have seen has been in the upper RPM range. That is also proven out from published Dyno graphs as well.

I also get that the benefits / gains are really not as great as the manufacturers want you to believe.

I just took out the K&N and installed the stock airbox back in. The biggest difference I noticed.... going up some of the hills on the highway it feels bogged down compared to when the intake was in. So, under load, I think the engine was breathing better. But I also had to agree with my wife. When it would down shift to pass the ruckus that came from under the hood was horrid. Sounded like a sick blender to my ears as well. So, I gave in and pulled it. I will probably go with a drop in panel filter from K&N. It is also important to note that I won't be driving down dry dusty desert trails nor do I plan on mudding it through streams and such. I would definitely tell anyone that plans on heavy off road use to stay away from this kind of intake.

OK, so let the arguments begin.... Leave it to me to get into trouble before I even set up my signature....:chair:

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no arguments to begin there is at least a dozen threads on here that point out that they decrease performance on our jeeps. i should know i own one myself..... sadly i already sold the original box so its what i am stuck with

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no arguments to begin there is at least a dozen threads on here that point out that they decrease performance on our jeeps. i should know i own one myself..... sadly i already sold the original box so its what i am stuck with

Keep your eye out for Liberty's being parted out in your area, you could score the stock air box for cheap I bet if you did want to switch back....

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite......

See, I've run "short ram" intakes with washable filters for years now on everything I've had.... Started with my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. Funny thing is it made the most difference in responsiveness in those (a 2003 Auto then a 2004 5 speed). I had to fabricate one for the 2005 Jaguar S Type 3.0 I had. After the Jaguar it was a 300C. In the 300 the only benefit I got from it was a satisfying growl and ease of maintenance from the filter. To be honest it was coupled to a hand held tuner so it may have helped but I attribute most of the performance gain on the Hemi to the tuner, not the filter.

My experience with these things is they do help. They don't turn 200hp engines into 400hp monsters, but they do make a difference. Most of the difference I have seen has been in the upper RPM range. That is also proven out from published Dyno graphs as well.

I also get that the benefits / gains are really not as great as the manufacturers want you to believe.

I just took out the K&N and installed the stock airbox back in. The biggest difference I noticed.... going up some of the hills on the highway it feels bogged down compared to when the intake was in. So, under load, I think the engine was breathing better. But I also had to agree with my wife. When it would down shift to pass the ruckus that came from under the hood was horrid. Sounded like a sick blender to my ears as well. So, I gave in and pulled it. I will probably go with a drop in panel filter from K&N. It is also important to note that I won't be driving down dry dusty desert trails nor do I plan on mudding it through streams and such. I would definitely tell anyone that plans on heavy off road use to stay away from this kind of intake.

OK, so let the arguments begin.... Leave it to me to get into trouble before I even set up my signature....:chair:

You're definitely not in trouble! It's interesting to hear someone else's opinions on the topic!

I think the main problem with the classic CAI is the location. Whereas the stock air box ***** air in right IN FRONT of the engine, it doesn't take in as much heat as the CAI does while it's sitting slightly in the middle of the engine. If you saw a performance increase, then that's great! Some might argue that it's a mental thing, but whatever man!

I think the best solution is to re-route the intake to some place where it can truly get cold air, i.e. in front of the rad.

Anyways...I have no experience with them...that's just my 2 cents that I've taken away from everything that I've read.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ran the stock box, ( when brand new) a cold air intake with a K&N, a CAI with a different kind forget which one now of cone filter, stock box with Amsoil filter and now stock box with a common NAPA filter and a 3 inch hose out to the grill. Last setup has been going on 125-130,000 miles, the rest anywhere from 12-15000 I think to give them a chance.
Best mileage / best overall performance with any of them was the last one, hence the reason its still there
ONLY way a CAI works is wide open short runs anything else and you're just making a noise and kidding yourself

The funniest thing is the fact that after we started doing these tubes out to the grill then on the KKs they started doing the same thing

Last edited:

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, it's established that any CAI is just a hot air sucker that only decreases performance and mileage (this is what most say and what most go by).
That's a "blanket" statement that simply is NOT true.

Perhaps slapping a CAI on our Libertys gives crappy results, but slapping a CAI on any other car/truck engine does NOT give the same negative results....by far ! All OEM intakes and air boxes are obviously NOT designed the exact way and engineers typically design them to be QUIET (ie restrictive). The original poster's wife (AND MINE) don't like loud/hotrodded vehicles nor do many other "boring" human beings! LOL!

I've owned probably 100 cars/trucks/motorcycles (modded most every single one) and the results have been entirely mixed.

The most dramatic results I've personally experienced were on a 2012 Mustang with a 3.7 V6 DOHC engine. There are dyno videos on YouTube showing/proving up to 14HP/9TQ. My butt-dyno would wholeheartedly agree with those results. I was that good!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a "blanket" statement that simply is NOT true.

Perhaps slapping a CAI on our Libertys gives crappy results, but slapping a CAI on any other car/truck engine does NOT give the same negative results....by far ! All OEM intakes and air boxes are obviously NOT designed the exact way and engineers typically design them to be QUIET (ie restrictive). The original poster's wife (AND MINE) don't like loud/hotrodded vehicles nor do many other "boring" human beings! LOL!

I've owned probably 100 cars/trucks/motorcycles (modded most every single one) and the results have been entirely mixed.

The most dramatic results I've personally experienced were on a 2012 Mustang with a 3.7 V6 DOHC engine. There are dyno videos on YouTube showing/proving up to 14HP/9TQ. My butt-dyno would wholeheartedly agree with those results. I was that good!
99% of them only suck hot air from under the hood.100% of newer OE air boxes have ducting that draws cooler air from a grill opening or hood/fender area.

Oh and just a foot note................

A restricted air filter on a modern FI engine('96 and newer) will actually increase mpg's slightly,will reduce power slightly but if driven normally mpg's will increase by 2%-5%.So your fancy dirt passing K&N's do nothing for mpg's.Clean air filters do nothing for mpg's and sucking in hot or cold air does nothing for mpg's on a naturally aspirated engine made in the last 18 years.The PCM will compensate and change the injector pulse width accordingly.

Oh and another foot note...................

Chassis dyno's can be made to say what ever the operator wants.Simply changing your gear ratio(no other mods,same tires) will show a drastic HP increase on a chassis dyno even though nothing on the engine was touched.Take any chassis dyno #'s with a grain of salt.