Feds Expand Jeep Liberty Probe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feds look into Liberty balljoint failures

As reported in Consumer Affairs

Federal regulators have expanded a defect investigation of the front suspension on the Jeep Liberty to include all 2002 to 2006 models of the vehicles with the suspension.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation is looking into allegations that the lower ball joint assembly can separate and fail on the Liberty.

Regulators have received 495 complaints describing a lower ball joint failure in the suspension.

The complaints include reports of three injuries and two crashes.

The ball joints, which in some models were the subject of a prior recall, can loose lubrication and corrode and that can result in separation and failure.

Chrysler has changed the design and material used in the Liberty’s suspension since the initial safety recall. NHTSA is looking at that recall to determine if the changes and modifications solved the ball joint problem in the suspension.

Bob

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I remember something similar to this a while back, of them expanding it to 2004 models. I guess they're going all the way to '06. This can't be anything but good.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD uses different springs in the front that are heavier. Does anyone know if the other suspension parts are different too?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
cowcatcher said:
The CRD uses different springs in the front that are heavier. Does anyone know if the other suspension parts are different too?

Ball Joints are pretty much still the same. That's the part that's under investigation here.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ball joints were replaced under recall by the previous owner. But I still get a clunk in the front end occasionally. Has anyone who had their's replaced had further problems? My KJ is a 2003 Limited.

longarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had a clunk noise in the front end of my 05 CRD. It was a right side motor mount. What recall is everyone talking about? My upper ball joints were just replaced at 19k miles. What a crock of ****.

Last edited:

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced at 16k. The dealership mechanic said it would make a klunking noise, then it needs to be replaced. But you should still take it to the dealership to have them look at it. Specifically, a 5 star dealership.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Specifically, a 5 star dealership.

Yes the 5 star dealership is suppose to be a better place. However, it seems that many people have had major issues with 5 star dealershps as well. I have! I guess its how well the customer service is regarding which dealership to take it in at, and how well they know their stuff.

I hope they put a recall through for the 04-06 models though. I've been debating on purchasing the Moog replacement ball joints but I tried the ball joint test and did not fail. My co-worker said why not buy the new ball joints, cause it would be a lot more money to fix stuff if one does fail.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
My ball joints were replaced under recall by the previous owner. But I still get a clunk in the front end occasionally. Has anyone who had their's replaced had further problems? My KJ is a 2003 Limited.

Had mine replaced on my 03 Limited under recall at 11k They ended up failing again at 39k and replaced them myself with the Moogs.