Favorite parts/fluids for routine maintenence

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I originally posted this list in the faq to double check myself for my first big fluids change, I thought that it might be a good idea to get everyone's favorite fluids to use and why. Information on how much to use and what general type is easy to find, but brand specifics (or favorites, if you will) is not. Please indulge. This is what I'm doing (total newb):

2005 RENEGADE (not limited slip, 6 spd manual, command-trac)

Air Filter:
AMSOIL Ea Air Filter EAA201-EA

PCV Valve
FRAM Part # FV408

Spark Plug
Autolite Ignition XP5224

Oil & Filter
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 /Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter

Front & Rear Axle Gear Fluid
Mobil1 Gear Oil: 75W140 Synthetic

Power Steering Fluid
Mopar Power Steering Fluid

NV231 (Command Trac) Transfer Case Fluid/Filter
Valvoline ATF +4

NSG370 Transmission Fluid (no filter)
Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

Brake fluid
Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3&4

Serpentine belt
Goodyear Gatorback
-------------------------
2005 LIMITED (auto, select-trac)

Air Filter
AMSOIL Ea Air Filter EAA201-EA

PCV Valve
FRAM Part # FV408

Spark Plug
Autolite Ignition XP5224

Oil & Filter
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 /Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter

Front & Rear Axle Gear Fluid
Mobil1 Gear Oil: 75W140 Synthetic

Power Steering Fluid

NV231 (Select Trac) Transfer Case Fluid/Filter
Valvoline ATF +4

42RLE Transmission Fluid/Filter
Valvoline ATF +4

Brake fluid
Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3&4

Serpentine belt
Goodyear Gatorback
-------------
Plus Zerex G-05 coolant, although I've asked at auto parts stores, which I cannot find and apparently it cannot be ordered. Might have to check the dealer, ugh.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus Zerex G-05 coolant, although I've asked at auto parts stores, which I cannot find and apparently it cannot be ordered. Might have to check the dealer, ugh.
I can go in any parts stores here in Colorado Springs and find GO5,Napa is the best place to find it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can go in any parts stores here in Colorado Springs and find GO5,Napa is the best place to find it.

Ive never been able to find it around here either. The guys at the counter give me a weird look when I ask for it. :confused:

Guess Ill just order it when the time comes. :)

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I originally posted this list in the faq to double check myself for my first big fluids change, I thought that it might be a good idea to get everyone's favorite fluids to use and why. Information on how much to use and what general type is easy to find, but brand specifics (or favorites, if you will) is not. Please indulge. This is what I'm doing (total newb):

2005 RENEGADE (not limited slip, 6 spd manual, command-trac)

Power Steering Fluid

-------------------------
2005 LIMITED (auto, select-trac)

Power Steering Fluid

-------------

For 2004+ you should use ATF+4 for the power steering.

See this post.

Cheers! :)

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FRONT AXLE:

1.31 QUARTS / 1.24 LITERS / 2.60 PINTS

REAR AXLE:

2.19 QUARTS / 2.08 LITERS / 4.40 PINTS

For more fluid capacities, check here

Also I like using Purolator PureONE or Napa Gold (Wix) oil filters.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, AlexKJ, guess I didn't look hard enough through the threads. But at least I already have enough atf+4 on hand.

tjkj2002: I finally did track it down at napa, although they had to order it, as there was none in stock. ***** living in a small town.

I love that fluid capacity chart Jeepkj02. My only question is this: for the cooling system, to flush it and refill, is the 14 quarts needed already 50/50? (I'm assuming, yes, but want to make sure.)

Thanks guys.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are going to flush the cooling then make sure the fluid coming out is clear, if you are flushing with water. if you are just draining and refilling, then drain as much as you can get, then refill with a 50/50 mix. i bought water and made my own mix with mopar fluid, then poured that in, that way you know everything going in is 50/50

and by the way, the draincock is slow as hell draining, have something else to do while you wait

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love that fluid capacity chart Jeepkj02. My only question is this: for the cooling system, to flush it and refill, is the 14 quarts needed already 50/50? (I'm assuming, yes, but want to make sure.)

Thanks guys.

Yes, pre-mixed/50-50 is 14-quarts. Do what offrovering said if you want to flush the system. Might want to also change the upper/lower rad hoses and t-stat while your at it.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally found the zerex...as soon as I think my list is complete there's something else to add. I just ordered some brx hoses. What the hell, at least they LOOK good, right? All that's left is to get a belt tensioner and thermostat. This is going to be a helluva bill just for all these fluids/parts! It's forbidden to work on your car in my apt complex, so this is either going to wait until we rent a house in a few weeks/month, or I might have to take it to a mechanic. :( $$$

I'm going to ask anyway even though I think I know the answer:

Should the ignition wire set be replaced as well? ~$40 part, but I'd rather not if I don't have to at this point. Total bill for 2 KJ's is now $600 just for parts/fluids!

Last edited:

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and should the entire belt tensioner assembly be replaced, or just the pulley? Is it necessary at a certain mileage, or do you just guess when to replace it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and should the entire belt tensioner assembly be replaced, or just the pulley? Is it necessary at a certain mileage, or do you just guess when to replace it?
Replace the whole tensioner,just replacing one pulley is pointless,you need the whole thing so you get the new spring.It's highly recomended to change the tensioner when you change the belt,every 60,000miles,since the spring in the tensioner wears out also and no you can't just replace the spring,it's a sealed non-serviceable unit.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I saw that one coming!! Then the only part remaining that I have been unable to find is the T-case filter--is it okay just to clean it instead?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I saw that one coming!! Then the only part remaining that I have been unable to find is the T-case filter--is it okay just to clean it instead?
No such thing as a t-case filter,the t-case only requires fluid(ATF+4 for the KJ),about 1.5qts for the 231 and just under 2qts for the 242.

Should the ignition wire set be replaced as well? ~$40 part, but I'd rather not if I don't have to at this point. Total bill for 2 KJ's is now $600 just for parts/fluids!
Unless you have the 4-cylinder gas KJ there are no spark plug wires,the coils set on top of each plug in the 3.7 V-6.

And you think $600 for 2 KJ's is bad,I spend a average of $800 just to do a 30,000mile service on my KJ alone,but I'm very **** about keeping fresh fluids and good parts on my KJ.

Last edited:

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TJKJ--is there anything you don't know? :D

I completely understand about being ****, as I believe if you're going to do it you might as well do it right.

Yea, the sticker shock of the cost of parts/fluids is wearing off, and I'm just glad I know what's going in my KJ than trusting someone else to do it. Thank god I don't have to take it to the stealership. You don't want to know how much they charged to put the frankenlift on :eek: (nowhere else to take it here and I should have just taken it to Phoenix, oh well).