Fault P0740 - torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilead1

Reaction score
Hello.
Does anyone know if the fault can be related to trailer towing?
I was towing a havy trailer (3500lb) uphill on a very hot day and received a Hot transmission light.
Days later I get the P0740 torque converter fault....
Any thoughts?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
After having the transmission light on due to heat, you should probably have the fluid and filter changed out. Cooking the transmission fluid like that makes it less effective and internal things like the torque converter can slip or have trouble locking up. If you haven't noticed any drivability issues, fluid & filter change may be all you need.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes anytime the transmission light is on, the ATF+4 has overheated and replace fluid & filter. (friction modifier has broken down)
What year is your Jeep? Do you have the HD cooling package, or just the electric fan?
Replacing the stamped steel transmission pan to a machined aluminum keeps the transmission fluid so much cooler.
I pull a 3400 lb boat with electric fan only and the Jeep fluid has not overheated since. https://yourcovers.com/pml-chrysler-dodge-42rle-deep-transmission-pan.html

Attachments

• PML 42RLE info.jpg
    PML 42RLE info.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 6

Gilead1

Reaction score
Yes anytime the transmission light is on, the ATF+4 has overheated and replace fluid & filter. (friction modifier has broken down)
What year is your Jeep? Do you have the HD cooling package, or just the electric fan?
Replacing the stamped steel transmission pan to a machined aluminum keeps the transmission fluid so much cooler.
I pull a 3400 lb boat with electric fan only and the Jeep fluid has not overheated since. https://yourcovers.com/pml-chrysler-dodge-42rle-deep-transmission-pan.html

Gilead1

Reaction score
It is KK 2011.
I have mechanic and electric fan.
I think it has a factory tow package.
Attached the build sheet.

Attachments

• BuildSheetServlet (2).pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 3

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Very good. With mechanical & electric fan, all you need now is the 42RLE aluminum pan and a skid plate to protect it. :)

Gilead1

Reaction score
Did you have the OD locked out ?
I think I did, everything was normal except the warning light,
cruising 65mph at 2000rpm, no noises, no acceleration hesitation, no slides.
We connected a computer that shows active fault P0740, but we could erase it.
For now it is O.K but I did not drive on a free way since.

Last edited: