Fail safe on the libby ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Libby i bought last month. As you all know, a jeep owner has to try it....
So i went in the snow to drive it, and of course, i got to the point where snow was rolling down under the front bumper. I did a bout 500 feet in there before i hit somekind of a bump that stopped me and made me get stuck there. When i put it on reverse, to see if i had any freespace to get on reverse, i saw the jeep had stalled... When i went to start it the oil heat light lit up (yeah the red one). So, i let go the ignition and figured id let it rest there and check how bad it was outside (let it cool down). Outside when i got to the front, i had a smell of oil,... , but the jeep's temperature was still in the middle so no engine heating at all. Is there a heat sensor for tansmission or differential that makes the jeep stall to protect it ? Cause im not sure, but i think it lost a bit of engine oil (thus explaining the oil smell). Samething with the coolant, no smell but a yellowish spot in the snow underneath the jeep where i was stuck. I've checkes coolant and oil and cold out, i need to put some. I swear it never went up in heat on the gauge, so im a bit comfused...

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 2-3 min je Jeep did start back as normal and with use of traction aid and a shovel miracles happens :p its been a week now and i did it again only deeper so i needed 4 traction aid to get out and the same thing happened again .... Thought the jeep seems in perfect shape and runs great it is still making me wondering about it ...

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a Trans Temp warning light.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That light says "Trans Temp," and even if that did come on it wouldnt be peeing in the snow.

I have no idea why it would be stalling when youre in deep snow. Did the oil light come on the second time you killed it?? That could be a bad oil pressure sensor(located about the oil filter). Idk why it would only come on when your in deep snow though.. :confused:

Radiator fluid could be a cracked radiator or a bad water pump. May want to check the radiator hoses too since youve been in deep snow. The lower one may of been hit by some ice or something.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because the temp reading was in the middle does not mean you were not overheating. My coolant overheated once because the radiator fan stopped working and the temp guage stayed in the middle even though steam was coming out of the reservoir. Make sure you have enough coolant and your electric fan is working. The fan should come on when you have your a/c on. Also, put your tc in 4low to take some of the strain off the engine/****** when off roading in deep snow.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icarl is correct. Ive seen mine as high as 220F+ and the gauge was still in the middle. :rolleyes:

It got the nickname 'idiot gauge' for a reason.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The temp gauge in the KJ will read in the middle of the range from the actual engine temp of 178 degrees through 229 degrees.The OEM 195 degree t-stat starts to open at 195 degrees and does not fully open until 218 degrees.

Plus if the ECT sensor is not submersed in coolant it will not read correctly.

Latest posts

Members online