Factory tow hooks or reciever hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at buying the Mopar tow hooks, front and rear. I then realized that I could get both a front and rear hitch mounts for just a little bit more $. If I were to use the hitch's with a receiver tow hook or shackle, would that be as good as a frame mount tow hook, and would it be acceptable at Jeep sanctioned events? I'm hoping so, because it would give me a lot of flexibility for towing and accessories such as hooks/shackles, steps, bike rack,etc.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hitch in the rear is better then having a tow hook out back..

Not to sure about the front. I would think that the hitch would be stronger than just the tow hooks. Since it mounts to BOTH places that the tow hooks would.. It would be like using two tow hooks. O:)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I would think that the hitch would be stronger than just the tow hooks. Since it mounts to BOTH places that the tow hooks would.. It would be like using two tow hooks. O:)
I agree, it would spread the load out across the entire front of the Jeep instead of being concentrated on one point. I have receivers front and rear and they seem to do great.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front will look good with a receiver and shackle. You will have the extra advantage of using the entire frame rather than a single point of contact. Let us know what you went with. I may try to fab something up myself but I have the grille guard that uses the tow hook points :(

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Kevin, you have the front receiver right? Does that interfere with the front license plate (or do you even have one?) I think I'm going with the front receiver, but probably not till spring. I have a few other items higher up on the list, plus by then I'll need to get my jeep funds built back up.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an article that I found regarding your question.

http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/jeep-tow-hooks.html

To answer your other question about the license plate. If your KJ is a 2005+ you will have to relocate the license plate.

I have a front mount trailer hitch on a 2005 KJ, I had to notch the bumper cover and custom made a license plate holder to fit into the receiver.

I hope this helps you.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go the hitch receiver mount route. Yesterday I ordered the front and rear from JC Whitney, both Hidden Hitch. I was quite surprised when Fed Ex showed up this morning with the rear receiver. So since I was off work and it was nice out, I thought I'd throw it on. It turned out to not be as easy as it looked. The welded nuts in the frame were so rusted that I had to go buy a tap set (9.99 @Harbor Freight!!) and tap them out. I could only get to 5 of them, as the front passenger side was obstructed by the exhaust. Then when I got the hitch in place, both of the forward holes do not line up. So for now it's installed with 2 bolts on each side. I'm going to have to take it down later and grind the 2 bolt holes on the hitch, and drop the exhaust so I can tap the last nut in the frame. I'm assuming it's probably not a good idea to use it with 4 bolts?

sandracer

Reaction score
Another advantage to going with a receiver hitch at both ends is that you can use a portable winch and hook it up where you happen to need it.

You must be registered for see images attach