Factory Security Systems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edumacate me here please ;)

For the KJ, if I have this correct….

2002-2004 use the grey headed-key with the oval-type head. The key fob was a separate unit

2005-2007’s use the key with the integrated fob.

Now, as far as I can tell from limited reading, the security system didn’t really change. Am I correct in this statement? Can I program one of those grey-headed 2002-2004 keys to work in my 2007? If not, what changed in the keys so that they are not interchangeable? Do these both contain a transponder?

I’m trying to figure out what I’d need to install a remote starter. Ideally, I’d like to ditch the stupid integrated key (I hate this effin’ thing) and get one of the standard older Jeep keys, and use the remote start/remote lock fob to operate the doors and rear glass.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin on ebay, it seems that they do have a newer grey key. Some specift 2002-2004, others 2005-2007. Maybe I'll pick one up (~$20) and it's "guaranteed to work", so I have nothing to lose.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '02, and I have a black-headed key with separate key fob.

EDIT: BTW, something to think about, if you don't have the integrated key fob, look into the Jeep Rock Keys, look on ebay.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '02, and I have a black-headed key with separate key fob.

If I remember correctly, the gray coded keys are SentryKey equipped and the black coded keys are not. I think it was another way to avoid confusion in the assembly process.

newlibertyowner

Reaction score
Atrus,

I have a 2005 liberty with the integrated fob. A few months back, I purchased a grey headed key for a 2004 liberty and was able to program it (I have 2 originals). It did work with no problem. I did not purchase the seperate fob and was told I could not program the seperate fob to work on a 2005+. The key worked fine and started the engine, but when I used it to unlock the doors it set off the alarm. I just went back to the integrated fob, but the key itself worked.

Nancy

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the gray coded keys are SentryKey equipped and the black coded keys are not. I think it was another way to avoid confusion in the assembly process.

I have Sentry Key System (Keyless Entry, right?)...if I'm not mistaken all KJ do.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Sentry Key System (Keyless Entry, right?)...if I'm not mistaken all KJ do.

No. SentryKey is where there is a microchip embedded within the key. When you insert the key to start the Jeep, the ignition recognizes the key, and then allows the vehicle to start. If the key is not authorized, then the Jeep shuts off after either 15 or 30 seconds. I'm 90% that was optional.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems that there are the 2005-2007 Sentry Keys only (no fob). I'll pick one up off ebay to see what's up...probably in a few weeks.

They specifically list the 2005-2007 liberty for those and the 2002-2004 states that they are explicitly for those years.

Big A

Reaction score
I might have the solution here...

I am having my Viper 791XV with remote start installed on my 04 Libby LTD. They require either a valet key in a box or a programmed box for the remote start to function.

IMO, I see no reason why you cant get the programmable box and have it learn your keys, Then retire the original key for the replacement grey one.

As long as the grey key works the ignition, You should be golden!

Let us know the outcome!

Adam

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Adam - yup, I am considering the DEI Valet 562T along with the DEI556CW box. It learns the key.

Only thing I am curious about (and awaiting an answer on) is how this works with multiple keys. I know some security sytems don't like seeing two RF's transmitted, or changing RF's during one run cycle...So, if I have key #1 programmed into it and I use Key #1, it'll see the one RF and all is well. What happens if Key #2 is transmitting a different signal? I understand once you turn the key to ignition on and hit the brake, the remote starter is disabled and you're running off the key, but I don't know what'll happen prior to disabling it when two RF's are being broadcast, as well as what'll happen if it's running and suddenly the RF changes solely to key #2.

I'd prefer to have a few keys work in it. I suppose, worst case, only one will work with the remote start and the others would have to be used normally. That's not a deal breaker now that I think about it. As long as the other Keys can run the car normally.

Big A

Reaction score
As far as i know, The programmer will accept 3 codes. So that means 3 keys should work!:rolleyes:

Have 1 grey, And 2 original keys. :)

Adam