Factory limited slip swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmmansur

Reaction score
New to the forum, I have had my 03 sport 4x4 since new. I am running the stock open rear diff w/3.73 gears and 31"s. I need a little more grip from time to time (never been stuck, but had a few close ones). I was thinking about swapping the open diff for a factory limited slip unit (possibly from a salvage yard). My questions would be: is this a simple swap (I am not looking to set up gears); what should I be looking for, will other Jeep units work; would this be an inexpensive modification, or should i be looking to the aftermarket (my Jeep is on pavement 95% of the time)? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• jeep07.4.jpg
    jeep07.4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 38

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would be better off to get a Detroit True-Trac or Detroit locker for the rear, but they arent cheap the DTT is about $480 and the DL is $550 but they will preform better than the stock LSD

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree completely. the factory limited slip is clutch based and will wear out over time. Getting a used one is a crap shoot at best. It also will cost more to install than a lunch box locker since you have to setup the gears. Put the money in something that will do you more good.

mmmansur

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What about the Powertrax units from Richmond, anyone try these?

droptine

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What about the Powertrax units from Richmond, anyone try these?

I have had the Powertrax in a 4x2 Dodge Ram for about 2 years now. Besides a little "chirping" around corners on occasion, it works great.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the factory LSD replaced with a DTT. The factory LSD had broken at 75k miles and damaged the pinion bearing. The difference is huge. I would highly recommend getting the DTT even though it's a higher cost. I wish I had gone to it years ago.

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check into if the diff will even allow for you to put in the trash-lock. I know when I ordered my power-trax, they ask if you have a factory or trac-lok diff. There must be some slight difference in the product, right?

I've had the powertrax in for close to 5 years (thanksgiving weekend to be exact). It has work just fine. Everyonce in a while your hear it bind and pop (chirp) but other than that i have been impressed with it. I think it was in the $300 range (??) and the install took about an hour. Thankfully SkrRacing installed it for me for free.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont bother with the trash lock ,it will need gear set up and simply not worth the money
even for free
if you are happy with open and only want a little bit more than a TT is money well spent
HOWEVER do not expect to be wowed by it
I have seen rigs with TT front and rear ,DD's and the owners did not want to "deal with a locker", and I was not at all impressed
I could walk up hills that they had trouble with ,I have a Detroit locker in the rear
I also have an ARB in the front but never locked it and almost dont need it now that I have the Detroit
I had a trash loc ,this is in my TJ by the way which is a trail rig
If/when I take the KJ as a DD I plan on doing 4.10's and TT's front and rear
it will be to tow/rescue my TJ not for trail ridding
if I were to use it for trail riding it would get a Detroit in the rear