Fabricating extended boxed control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing it. Hopefully sooner than later, depending on funds. However, I'm not building it to jump or go fast. So it'll still be LT, but not for racing

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Will be neat to see how it turns out!

Really simple curiosity question... How do you plan on addressing the fenders and tire coverage or will this be more of a rock buggy type deal in the long run where tires way outside of the body work won't be of concern?

Simply picturing what a wide KJ could potentially look like in reality cause I definitely can't say I've seen one.

BTW, you'd be surprised how well a cheap set of FOA coilovers with some time spent on valving them will do! I would never race on them but for a play rig they're an excellent option at a great price point to still get some seriously good handling out of! IMO the hold up for racing on them is the seals and stuff they use don't like the heat the shocks build when ran really aggressively for long periods of time. You can't remotely touch our shocks after just 10 minutes of running big whoops let alone hours and hours or racing!

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Will be neat to see how it turns out!

Really simple curiosity question... How do you plan on addressing the fenders and tire coverage or will this be more of a rock buggy type deal in the long run where tires way outside of the body work won't be of concern?

Simply picturing what a wide KJ could potentially look like in reality cause I definitely can't say I've seen one.

BTW, you'd be surprised how well a cheap set of FOA coilovers with some time spent on valving them will do! I would never race on them but for a play rig they're an excellent option at a great price point to still get some seriously good handling out of! IMO the hold up for racing on them is the seals and stuff they use don't like the heat the shocks build when ran really aggressively for long periods of time. You can't remotely touch our shocks after just 10 minutes of running big whoops let alone hours and hours or racing!

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/bds-suspensions-project-kj-53320/ ;)

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the picture links on that thread are broken and not showing for me but from the ones I can see that thing is RAD!!! The width honestly looks nicer then I mentally pictured/expected!

BTW, I haven't said it but the whole "I love non traditional built rigs concept..." FYI I daily drive a Ford Exploder that's on 35's with lockers front and rear, rock sliders, etc and all my Jeep friends gave me major grief when I sold my old jeep that I crawled with to build an Exploder!!! I told them patient and let me do my thing. While I do get out wheeled, I go 90% of the places they go absolutely problem free if not easier sometimes in all honest and I have a fraction of the cash into my build that they do into their Wranglers/Cherokees do.

That BDS Liberty is BADASS!!!! Funny thing, I first blasted thru the thread just looking for completed pictures and when I saw them I instantly thought it looked like a Geo Tracker and then when I went back to read details I laughed when someone else posted the exact same thing!!! Curious, I didn't see any mention of engine stuff, stock engine on that thing? Diesel or the gas? And only 5.13 gears on 40" tires? Seems like it wouldn't have the power on the street to go... I get the 4:1 kit on it and stuff but need some highway I would think? Either way, if I saw that thing in person it would definitely draw my attention!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of the picture links on that thread are broken and not showing for me but from the ones I can see that thing is RAD!!! The width honestly looks nicer then I mentally pictured/expected!

BTW, I haven't said it but the whole "I love non traditional built rigs concept..." FYI I daily drive a Ford Exploder that's on 35's with lockers front and rear, rock sliders, etc and all my Jeep friends gave me major grief when I sold my old jeep that I crawled with to build an Exploder!!! I told them patient and let me do my thing. While I do get out wheeled, I go 90% of the places they go absolutely problem free if not easier sometimes in all honest and I have a fraction of the cash into my build that they do into their Wranglers/Cherokees do.

That BDS Liberty is BADASS!!!! Funny thing, I first blasted thru the thread just looking for completed pictures and when I saw them I instantly thought it looked like a Geo Tracker and then when I went back to read details I laughed when someone else posted the exact same thing!!! Curious, I didn't see any mention of engine stuff, stock engine on that thing? Diesel or the gas? And only 5.13 gears on 40" tires? Seems like it wouldn't have the power on the street to go... I get the 4:1 kit on it and stuff but need some highway I would think? Either way, if I saw that thing in person it would definitely draw my attention!

Yes CRD, if you want more pictures I was there during the build and the last day, have some good shots

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The fender area isn't much of an issue. Especially with Texas laws. It wont be a buggy style though. I'll be running ORI struts on all four corners we it's all said and done

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dad just bought his KJ about a month ago. We test drove a CRD and both really liked it! A bit "dieselly" sounding at idle but man it was nice. Difference of $500 on the selling price kept the deal from happening though. I was bummed, it was super nice with some nice mods to it. My dad stood his price ground and the seller did too... Oh well. He ended up with a gas one and while it up and goes decent I was thinking with those tires on that BDS one with the gas and only the gearing they were talking I was a bit shocked. CRD, probably not too bad!

Definitely a cool build that I'd never seen! Honestly, building up a KJ hadn't crossed my mind until my pops got one and now I'm kinda peeking around for ideas to influence him with! LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My Dad just bought his KJ about a month ago. We test drove a CRD and both really liked it! A bit "dieselly" sounding at idle but man it was nice. Difference of $500 on the selling price kept the deal from happening though. I was bummed, it was super nice with some nice mods to it. My dad stood his price ground and the seller did too... Oh well. He ended up with a gas one and while it up and goes decent I was thinking with those tires on that BDS one with the gas and only the gearing they were talking I was a bit shocked. CRD, probably not too bad!

Definitely a cool build that I'd never seen! Honestly, building up a KJ hadn't crossed my mind until my pops got one and now I'm kinda peeking around for ideas to influence him with! LOL

Seemed to have plenty of power, even with a couple of issues that had right after the build. Its logged a lot of miles since then and had held up really well .
As far as building a dream KJ, 2 wheel drive, V-8, loads of travel on 33-35s , Independent front , full width running gear
Be my daily driver fun machine
Have 3 4WD KJs so need something different like the 2 wheel driver :icon_lol:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little different than what some people do to their KJs on here but that's what I like: different. I can also change the lights under the dash to any color. But hey if it sparks any ideas, there ya go. If say the hardest thing I did was take the headlights apart to black out the silver ring. Also has a glass pack on it

Also had a brand new engine put in. Those timing chain tensioners crapped out at 160,000 miles and again at 167 that ultimately blew the engine and jumped time. Eh it's alright. I sit at 2000 miles now :) the 3.7s will run forever if you take care of them. Unfortunately whoever had the kj before my grandpa, did not.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: