Fabricating extended boxed control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiresix

Reaction score
I've become somewhat obsessed with doing a +6" Long travel set up. The plan is to cut notched plates on a waterjet cutter in much the same fashion Camburg does theirs. I've been working on some ideas in CAD. If I end up going through with this, I'd be happy to share the files for LCA, and Jig measurements for UCA

Camburg LCA: http://youtu.be/n4bRLIWfCTg

So far all I have are ideas. I started a thread so early in the planning stage because I'm curious if there's any others interested in collaborating on this. I'm also interested in hearing about the roadblocks others have hit trying to come up with their own long travel system.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not many has actually tried it. I know a few of the Texas guys have some good ideas and currently working on some ideas.

Looks like your on the right track. You will need to figure out a ball joint/knuckle setup. Id definitely would raise the steering tie rod mount up about a inch or so to help decrease that angle some.

What are you gonna use for the rear end. +6" is alot for the KJ/KK.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen actual plans drawn up for those
Problem is first actual cost of production
Then finding/ building extended length CVs
More than likely also making / building new spindles
Then, ....
well that is a start

wiresix

Reaction score
I want to use the stock spindles, and OEM lower ball joint. I'll be extending stock axles. I've read a lot of success stories about it, and if they don't hold up, I'll just go with a set of custom length axles. The cost isn't too crazy. I will design and fabricate as much as I can my self. I have a full metal shop, CNC mill, lathes, and a waterjet cutter at my disposal. I have a buddy who's a certified welder to do the welding

I ordered a set of LCAs that should be in on Monday. Then, I can take better measurements and get a realistic design going. Once I get a usable assembly in Inventor, I'll probably consult an engineer for any revisions that need done.

I honestly haven't given the back end much thought. I'm learning a lot of this as I go, and have been focusing on the harder problems first. Do you have any suggestions for the back?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Extending the stock axles?
Reusing the stock spindles ?
No mention of whats happening to the UCAs
What you are using in place of the D30a
How you are handling the tie rods/steering
How you are handling the sway bar issue
How you are going to.......well we'll see when that issues comes up :gr_grin:

Now I think its time to sit back in a rocking chair with a big ole glass of iced tea and watch this unfold
:icon_lol:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can contact Chippy on LOSTjeeps.com he was thinking about doing something similar

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
See if you can contact Chippy on LOSTjeeps.com he was thinking about doing something similar

Doing this is somewhat like installing a V8 in a KJ, lots of talk, lots of what ifs, someone starts, then they fall over in that deep black hole never to be heard from again.
Someone whose father owns a machine shop / has unlimited amounts of time and money will sort it out :icon_lol:
Of course if they want all of our ideas on here and LOST that will actually work we could all become rich :shrug::happy175:

wiresix

Reaction score
Doing this is somewhat like installing a V8 in a KJ, lots of talk, lots of what ifs, someone starts, then they fall over in that deep black hole never to be heard from again.
Someone whose father owns a machine shop / has unlimited amounts of time and money will sort it out :icon_lol:
Of course if they want all of our ideas on here and LOST that will actually work we could all become rich :shrug::happy175:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at, or implying. Perhaps you could be a little more direct.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you're getting at, or implying. Perhaps you could be a little more direct.

I see you are fairly new, only ten posts so maybe you haven't taken the time to actually read through the various posts on here and LOST.
Just that a lot of us have been on the KJ forums for 10-12 years now, seen a lot come and go over the years.
Like doing an SFA or V-8 swap the various ways of extending/ beefing up/swapping front suspensions has come up a lot and theres been a lot of false starts, people come on saying what all they are going to do / how bada** their ride is going to be and then they fall of into that black hole or build one that fails miserably.
Just saying there is a lot more to it than just one part like the LCAs that takes lots of time,( and many $$$$) understanding not only metal work but also suspension geometry and then finding all of the other parts needed.
So not sure how I could be more direct. It is what it is .
But keep on dreaming and planning, at your age I had already used up a lot of welding rods and cut off disc's trying to find the right combo to lift rigs. Especially when we were doing our Dodge vans to get enough lift for 38s and 40s . Lots of trial and error, weld , install, drive one mile, back to the shop, cut, start over , weld,......... :happy175::happy175:

Plus back then we were still years away from even having Internet to search things on or for
Got it way easy anymore , too easy, takes the thought process out of your head

Last edited:

wiresix

Reaction score
Tommudd, the fact that you trial and errored your way to stuffing 40's under a van means we share a very similar mind set. There's nothing wrong with false starts and failures. Never starting something because you're not good at it, or afraid of looking dumb is a terrible reason. I enjoy the process of learning, and I have the resources to do silly things like this now because I failed at starting my own businesses so many times that I eventually succeeded. It's the challenge of doing something that hasn't been done that excites me, not the end result of having a "bada$$" truck. If I wanted that, I'd buy a fully caged prerunner. This is my first attempt at building a suspension system, so I'll probably suck. But I'm ok with that.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Roosevelt

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is why? It an old body style that doesn't exist anymore. Buy what's avaiable for the kj, don't try to invent the wheel. You want to jack the shit height outta something buy a wrangler or a pick up.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My question is why? It an old body style that doesn't exist anymore. Buy what's avaiable for the kj, don't try to invent the wheel. You want to jack the shit height outta something buy a wrangler or a pick up.

Why not though, people are still coming out with new things for the XJ which has been dead for 15 years .
If he's just doing it for himself , no one is out anything it's his time and money and he'll be having some fun experimenting .
Ya never know, what he learns on the KJ may come in to be very valuable when working on the new and improved next generation IFS Wranglers :icon_lol:

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you took this into consideration or not but if you want to create a long travel system then wont you also need long travel struts or shocks. The only front struts I know that have long travel on them are the JBA adjust a struts and they start at $1500 unless you can create coil over mounts for Fox or King coil overs to work with them then, you might have some problems :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if you took this into consideration or not but if you want to create a long travel system then wont you also need long travel struts or shocks. The only front struts I know that have long travel on them are the JBA adjust a struts and they start at $1500 unless you can create coil over mounts for Fox or King coil overs to work with them then, you might have some problems :shrug:

Would need much longer front shocks than JBA currently has , well rear as well.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would need much longer front shocks than JBA currently has , well rear as well.

Thats easy part. I dont know why yall are making it seem like its hard. ORI 8" travel strut. Or use a bilstein 6100 (just like JBA) and get a longer travel like the 6" or 8". Then some ebaich springs. Rear shocks easy too, especially if you have a bilstein catalog, 26" shock (4" lift) and add what lenght you want to it.

JBA coilovers are limited in travel by design. They are only a 5" travel shock, with a 10" spring.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats easy part. I dont know why yall are making it seem like its hard. ORI 8" travel strut. Or use a bilstein 6100 (just like JBA) and get a longer travel like the 6" or 8". Then some ebaich springs. Rear shocks easy too, especially if you have a bilstein catalog, 26" shock (4" lift) and add what lenght you want to it.

JBA coilovers are limited in travel by design. They are only a 5" travel shock, with a 10" spring.

Yes shocks are the easy part, :icon_lol:
hard part is fabrication and understanding how suspensions work

Last edited: