Fabricating extended boxed control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiresix,
I say if you have a dream than that dream can be reality one day.I have always like to fabricate parts. Rather than just be a parts changer myself.
:smoke2:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rcv wouldnt be worth it because then your moving your weak link somewhere else. Like the ring and pinion. I'd rather have my cv axles be the weaker link.

wiresix

Reaction score
Well....im just gonna assume the OP is a pro at both.

Lol, you know what happens when you assume right? I'm learning as much as I can in my free time. There's still a couple books I want to finish before getting too serious. My build will hopefully start in a couple months when I'm not busy with work.

A few things I've been thinking about:

- Axles. I've decided against extending stock axles in favor of making my own and machining splines on the 4th axis cnc mill. Technically, it won't be a true involute spline because of the cutters I have access to. However, I've read accounts of this type of spline holding up to 4-500 hp cars as long as the fitment is tight.

- 4x4kayak2112, you expressed concern about the angle on the steering tie rod. Is there a reason the stock ball joints wouldn't be able to keep up with a shaved CV joint if keeping a stock(ish) geometry? I'm considering modifying the stock spindles with heim joints in new locations to correct the ackerman angle for the new width. In which case, I can move them up a little if needed. I'll know more once I get everything simulated in Inventor. The stock location will give toe in when cornering, but without all the measurements, I cant be sure how bad it will be.

-Swaybar. I can design the lower control arms to have the same mounting location. The LCA will have quite a bit more leverage against the sway bar, but I think it'll be fine. If not, I can always make something better

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 4" the steering tie rod end is at its max. When you add in the extra droop you are gonna get, well it wont be pretty.

heims or 1 tons would be best. You just have to figure out how to attach it to the rack. Heres an idea.
You must be registered for see images

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the 2WD and 4WD control arms the same? Because if somebody figures out a long-travel kit for the 4x4 I'd love to adapt it to my 4x2. That's the route I want to take with mine. I don't do crawling or trail rides. But I do like going fast on less than ideal surfaces. Which includes many of the roads around here. The idea of turning my '03 into a sort of mini trophy truck definitely makes me giggle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are the 2WD and 4WD control arms the same? Because if somebody figures out a long-travel kit for the 4x4 I'd love to adapt it to my 4x2. That's the route I want to take with mine. I don't do crawling or trail rides. But I do like going fast on less than ideal surfaces. Which includes many of the roads around here. The idea of turning my '03 into a sort of mini trophy truck definitely makes me giggle.

Suspension on both the 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers are the same, everything transfers over
If you want a mini trophy truck dig deep into those pockets

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension on both the 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers are the same, everything transfers over
If you want a mini trophy truck dig deep into those pockets

VERY mini. As in, just a bit more suspension and a bit more power. Definitely nothing that would compete anywhere. Kind of like if the factory had offered a "Baja" edition.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A trophy truck like build cheaper than a SFA?
Well maybe if you cheaped out but not if done right

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on how "like" you want to be. If you start talking a full cage, 24" of travel, 500HP, etc... then, no, it wouldn't be cheaper. But getting a little more travel out of the suspension and adding a little more power would definitely be cheaper than an SFA swap. Especially if you're starting with a 4x2.

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just on this forum looking for info on possibly mounting some lights on my Dad's bumper for him as a xmas gift and stumbled on this thread while looking thru the fab area in hopes of seeing maybe others that made the mounts and well, the title caught my eye so I had to take a peek for myself.

Curious, did anything come of this and I hate to sound like a jerk but coming from first hand experience, how bad did it go if it did make any progress forward? I'm only talking from the shoes of the person that built this years championship class 7100 truck that races Best in the Desert and well, the stuff I've learned from 1st hand trial and error to get where we are right now on a home garage built rig has been eye opening. The things we've broke that I've never expected to and so on have me kind of laughing a bit inside to see where this project went or possibly would've went...

So... Anyone know if there was anything ever worked on here or was it just a dream that never moved forward?

Two trucks I've built 100% ground up...

You must be registered for see images attach

(including the race truck I mention above...)

Sold the red one to get this one below. My driveway consists of the race truck directly above and this one directly below currently...

I'm not saying a long travel KJ is impossible, I'm just speaking from first hand knowing what it takes to keep those trucks above alive... I'm just making a blind assumption that this would be an "interesting" project as I have a feeling a few of the early on posters assumed too!

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must take a LOT of helium to make those rigs float like that!!!!!!:happy175:

Bob

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must take a LOT of helium to make those rigs float like that!!!!!!:happy175:

Bob

LOL, the helium I use is pretty exotic and unfortunately isn't cheap! :happy175:

I'm 100% all for people doing something like the OP wants and would love to see a legit attempt! Heck, I'd offer up any bit of advice I could for a legit build build even no matter what the platform is! I love it even more when it's done to a lesser popular platform then the typical toyota or ford pickup like most do. (granted, there is a reason most are building on the chosen platforms) I love odd builds like that when done right! I just know and am continuously learning even more from my experience what it takes to make one actually survive and well, like what most of us have seen, most people greatly underestimate it and they end up doomed for failure unfortunately which always ***** to see. I'd love to see a long travel IFS KJ!!! I've never even owned a KJ but if done right it would be cool!

Khris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YyGzhJ38XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=215uD9D6BwU

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online