Extreme oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do yall think i should do about me loosing 2-2.5 qrts of oil in a couple days. This has been happening for about a couple weeks now. Ive got ZERO leaks anywhere!! And no smoke or smell of burning oil, im truly baffled here and dont know what to do, ive read the oil consumption thread and sadly ive already done everything suggested to remedy this situation with no results, due to such large amounts of oil consumption, im starting to hear a knock when I have to fill it up with oil every day. Im pissed and am probably going to the Jeep dealership to have it looked over cause im starting to pay more in oil than i am in gas..

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing you didn't spend on that dyno tune.

So no leaks.. OK. Have you done a compression test, wet and dry? That should tell you if you have an issue with the sealing or oil retention rings. Any blue smoke out the tailpipe?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosing 2+qts per day you will see massive amounts of blue smoke out of the tail pipe if your not leaking it.

1 qt every 1000 miles you will not but 2+qts per day someone should have reported you for it as you would be leaving a wall of smoke every where you go.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of crankcase ventilation do these engines have? I haven't really looked mine over

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used a genuine mopar PCV valve, HoosierJeeper. im not entirely sure on how the crank case ventilation system is designed but the vacuum pulls from the engine oil fill through the PCV and directly back into the intake manifold, Jeremy-WI. TJKJ see i thought this too, but im not seeing any leaks or any smoke what so ever, i even went to a clean road i know of, and floored it, went back up the road an investigated the concrete to see if im dumping oil while getting on the gas, and I see absolutley nothing, im truly baffled here. hahaha Jason your definetly right there lol!, but no I havent preformed a compressoin test as i lack to the tools necessary, but am now planning to go to harbor frieght to buy a compression tester to see the results, what should my compression be? renegade 04 my coolant is very consistent meaning its not gaining nor loosing any coolant, and ive looked into the resivour and notice no oil in the coolant, so im ruling out a blown head gasket. this whole situation is very confusing to me as there arnt any obvious signs of where all this oil is going. does the bell housing on our KJ's have an access panel? im curious to know if im dumping my oil into the bell housing.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an inspection/support plate on the bottom of the bellhousing. Can be removed with a few bolts. If your PCV is stuck open it'll use alot of oil but not the volumes you are seeing.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, I doubt the PCV is stuck open as the shake test says other wise, but I may be wrong. I was just under the KJ about an hour ago and didn't see a service/access panel. is the panel directly under the bell housing or is it off to one side? ive got an 02 3.7

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shake test doesn't really indicate how it will work when installed. It just tells you the valve can work.

The panel is all the way underneath. Had to remove mine to undo the torque converter/flywheel bolts when I pulled the motor on my 02.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The panel is all the way underneath. .

meaning closest to the floor? not the body right? going to look right now to see if I can see the panel, its dark atm so I'm not going to do any work but I just wanna know if it actually down there.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'll have trouble finding it once you get under there. It sort of completes the bell housing structure.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should say that most likely, if you had a rear main seal passing that much oil, you'd see a puddle. You'd definitely see a mess on your underside.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh I see now, well I noticed there is a small hole 1/8"x1/4" hole. and I shined a light in there and could see my flywheel so I know there is no oil in there, mainly cause it would just leak out. but then I would have a puddle, which Ive never had for weeks. so I'm still lost on where all this oil is going, I feel like I need to run it empty again before I can diagnose anything else, as of right now my oil is 100% full meaning I'm at the top of the safe mark on the dipstick. now something else for yall to take into consideration. my ****** fluid was pink a couple days ago and is now much darker than what I'm used to seeing, its still a red color with a haze of brown in it. making me think maybe my oil is finding its way into my ******, but I'm not seeing my ****** oil raise any. so maybe just time to change the ****** fluid..

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way for engine oil to get into the ******. Probably just needs to be changed. Does it smell burnt or just the usual foul ATF+4 smell.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should say that most likely, if you had a rear main seal passing that much oil, you'd see a puddle. You'd definitely see a mess on your underside.

the only signs of oil on the under side of my jeep is I'm noticing oil build up on and around my engine mount on the drivers side, as well as fresh oil on the bottom most bolt of the bell housing, I'm ganna wipe the whole thing clean and check it in the morning to see if I see any oil suddenly there again. but like ive said ive got no puddles ANYWHERE. I'm lost lol

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way for engine oil to get into the ******. Probably just needs to be changed. Does it smell burnt or just the usual foul ATF+4 smell.

usual atf smell, but I'm still ganna buy both filters and replace the fluid in it, as ive not done it personally for over a year

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valve or rocker covers okay? Sometimes the back corner on the passenger side will leak onto the cat and burn off while you drive. Usually you'll smell it and unlikely it would be the loss of volume you're seeing.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the valve cover gaskets two months ago but ill go look, give me a minute

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it's coming out there it wouldn't be an issue, the KJ would be pretty charred and crispy at this point.

Does the tail pipe feel oily? I know that test isn't as valid now with cats but with the quantity you're loosing it would surely be oily.