External Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed an External regulator? and if so, what did you use for an ignition source?

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a toggle switch for the power. But it does the same as computer. sometimes it works so times it dont:/ Random, any idea

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do decide to by a new ECM you may create new issues that you do not have rite now like engine problems.
first thing you will need is a spare alternator connector, I got mine from a junk yard.
here is a link for that
Buy CARQUEST by BWD Electrical Connector PT2042 at Advance Auto Parts
Next you will need the voltage regulator connector.
CARQUEST by BWD Voltage Regulator Connector PT65: Advance Auto Parts
You will also need to get the voltage regulator.
CARQUEST by BWD Voltage Regulator R400P: Advance Auto Parts
Next you will want to run a ground from the alternator to the case of the voltage regulator.
Next run a wire from a switch ignition source like the radio to the terminal labeled I.
Next run a wire from the alternator positive lug to the terminal labeled A.
Next run a wire from the Black/white colored wire on the alternator connector to Ground.
Next run a wire from the Dark Green colored wire on the alternator connector to the terminal labeled F.
As a side not you will not need to use the Terminal labeled S.
Also note that you will have the battery light on, but there is a part called a field replacement module for that.
http://store.alternatorparts.com/frm-field-replacement-module.aspx
Also note that this is for a FORD voltage regulator not a Chrysler voltage regulator.
These are the steps to install a external voltage regulator, but I would use the extra heavy duty voltage regulator like the ones I found on ebay.
Ford External Voltage Regulator Adjustable Exheavy Duty | eBay
the part number for the extra heavy duty is transpo F540XHD

Last edited:

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks renegade 04 for your reply! I have already installed one. My problem is It don't want to work some times.It seems like it wont kick on when its cold. The funny thing is it acts the same way the computer did when they said it was bad. I never have a problem in the afternoons only some mornings. Its the weirdest Dam thing i have seen. Now i'm wondering if i should even spend the money on a new PC seeing how the external regulator does the same thing the PC was doing. That tells me it would be something else but i have checked everything 5x over. Its just a charging system but this thing is really kicking my ass.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the heavy duty is what I need. I noticed It runs at 14.4 but if I turn the lights on they get brighter as I give it gas. But the crazy thing is it will drive perfect for a week then random nothing. What is going on here? Should I just get a pc or is it something else?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why it does not work all the time is that you may not have one capable of carrying enough field current to the alternator. If I were you I would go with extra heavy duty. One great thing about the extra heavy duty is that it is fully adjustable, you can buy one on ebay or at a local alternator shop.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man for the help.The thing im worried about is a shop said the PC was bad that was why it was working on and off. So i seen the external regulator on the forum and installed that and its doing the same thing the PC was. So its got me wondering if it could be something else but im not sure what else to check.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your external regulator is very well ground and that all the grounds on the jeep are good and clean. I would also have the alternator checked.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another weird thing i forgot to mention is even with the external regulator hooked up my battery light still runs mostly off. I figured it would stay on all the time with the wires being disconnected from the PC. It will come on but not very often

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant tell you how much i appreciate all your info. I'll let you know the outcome.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, I am the only person that has successfully wired and converted there liberty to be externally regulated using a ford voltage regulator. I understand how hard it can be trying to make a internally regulated vehicle externally regulated. What you are trying to do is not easy, but in the end it will make you a better person and also make your liberty more unique.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant tell you how much i appreciate all your help. Ill let you know what i find

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i learned that even if your alternator test good at 3 different places Its still can be bad. And it can work one day but not the next. <--- That one i never seen. I remembered i had a life time warranty on it so i figured what the hell let me grab a new one. It's been working fine ever since.The working every other day really through me off,I dint know they would do that. Thanks Renegade 04 for all your help i Really Appreciate it!!

I guess there is 2 of us now running External regulators :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.