extended warranty is necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazylimited

Reaction score
I bought my KJ limited last October. It was a leased car. The 5 year warranty ended this May. Do I need to buy any extended warranty? Where can I buy it? The dealer? Thank you.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you feel you need to buy it? YOu mentioned it was a leased car? You mean jeep.. Will you return it or have you made payment and got it?

Oh I get it, you bought a used KJ LTD, and it was a leased-out by dealer. Won't they give you any kind of extended warranty when you buy a used vehicle from dealer direct? Isn't there "certified" jeep or some sort?

Last edited:

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are cars, trucks, vans, & Jeeps!:) Collectively called vehicles, but back to the question. I'd say no, it's a waste of money. are you going to need repairs? Absolutely, but you have to look at the price of the warrantee & how many repairs that will buy you. I bet a warrantee runs about $2500, unless you blow the engine or transmission, you'll probably not come close to that while under warantee, and if something does happen, it may not be covered...that's why they have small print & lawyers:mad:. My opinion is take the $2500 and put it in an investment of some sort, where it is making money for you. Then if something does happen, then pay for it out of that account, If nothing happens, leave the investment alone! If you get 8% average return on that $2500 you'll have $25,000 in 30 years:)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also do not believe it is needed on the liberty. So far, the liberty has been a VERY reliable vehicle with minor problems. We got the extended warranty on the 06 Grand we bought but those have been known to have a few problems..

crazylimited

Reaction score
The dealer wanted to sell the extended warranty at $40 per month for 3 years when I bought this car last October. I didn't because the car has a 5 years warranty till this May.

Oh I get it, you bought a used KJ LTD, and it was a leased-out by dealer. Won't they give you any kind of extended warranty when you buy a used vehicle from dealer direct? Isn't there "certified" jeep or some sort?

crazylimited

Reaction score
Ok, I think I will not buy it.

Thank you all.

I also do not believe it is needed on the liberty. So far, the liberty has been a VERY reliable vehicle with minor problems. We got the extended warranty on the 06 Grand we bought but those have been known to have a few problems..

dnm45227

Reaction score
hold on. we got the extended warranty, 7 years/70k for $1800. it has a $100 deductable, but if we don't make a claim we get $1500 cash back when the warranty expires.

for me $300 for 7/70 peace of mind was worth it.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hold on. we got the extended warranty, 7 years/70k for $1800. it has a $100 deductable, but if we don't make a claim we get $1500 cash back when the warranty expires.

for me $300 for 7/70 peace of mind was worth it.

The bad part is- now if something happens that is less than $1500, you have to decide whether to make the claim & lose the remainder, or just eat the cost & get the full $1500 back. If you decide to not use it for a $1000 repair, so you don't lose the extra $500, then what good is it? Plus, if that is the approach you decide on, then the $300 is a waste also, because a warrantee that is never used is not much of a warrantee.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my extended warranty is up to 5 yrs/75,000 miles bumper to bumper, no deductible....and I paid $850 for it. To me, it's worth the peace of mind....probably never have to use it, but if hadn't gotten it then surely one day I would've needed it.

dnm45227

Reaction score
my extended warranty is up to 5 yrs/75,000 miles bumper to bumper, no deductible....and I paid $850 for it. To me, it's worth the peace of mind....probably never have to use it, but if hadn't gotten it then surely one day I would've needed it.

exactly the way i looked at it. also at the time my wife was driving easy 75-100 miles a day. i figured i would be out of the 12/12k realy soon and if a transfer case or trannie went i would be way ahead of the game and if not i would get most of my money back fairly quickly. i also figured that after 70k that i would be able to trust it not to be a lemon.