Exhaust Noise - Manifold Gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJWhite

Reaction score
Just picked up this 2002 Liberty limited 3.7. I've replaced the muffler and tailpipe and donut gaskets. It still has an intermittent loud rumble when I push on the accelerator. I'm having trouble figuring out where it's coming from because it's intermittent. I'm not sure if it's a manifold gasket or maybe the v-clamp above the cat? Doesn't run rough or stall and no codes. Almost sounds like a pressure build up or something, it's kind of hard to explain. Anyone had anything similar? Any tips for helping me pinpoint it?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Intermittent not much fun.
All I can think about is having some one rev it up to 2000-2500rpm and back to zero while in Park, and while under, try to find the area it may be coming from.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Try wadding up a rag and momentarily blocking the exhaust pipe. Some leaks are obvious and others will need an assistant so you can move your ears around.

Maybe a blown baffle in the muffler or cats?

Latest posts

Members online