Excursion planning- looking for trails!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hi gang. I’m just a few weeks away from having Bert ready for excursions. In preparation for my annual July super solo science trip, I’d like to do a bunch of test runs.

While I have of research sampling locations, I don’t know of any good trails and off road parks. I’ve seen a few on the web, but would prefer to have some company.

So, if you know of any good places to do a bit of Jeeping and wouldn’t mind some company, let me know.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All of the good places over east of you are still 8-10 hours away from you
Has to be some trails, national forests /parks somewhere closer to you

Oh , Disney OK has a great off road park, 6 hours away from you or so I think

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Nebraska's trails are 8 hours away and to be frank, are easier than the dirt roads local. Believe it or not our public lands here are pitiful. Gotta grow that corn. Turns out here they just do mudding and mall patrol. Missouri and Kansas however have quite a few on both public lands and off road parks it seems. The more I look up the more boring it gets. Figure best hope is to hook up with folks that have access to private property.

timg

Reaction score
I live in Columbia MO, and southern MO has the Mark Twain National Forest areas that have fire roads and such you can drive on. I've camped and driven around Cobb Ridge:

Looks to be about 6 hours from Omaha, but the campground there is pretty good, and if you're into it there are some primitive sites in fields along the fire roads you can camp in.

The fun trails are the ones restricted to ATV's under 50" in width, but I've found myself accidentally on some of those trails :) They are pretty fun, and have everything you'd want: rocky climbs, water crossings (not too deep or fast), deep forest. The trails are narrow, and technically you'd get in trouble from any national park ranger if you accidentally took a wrong turn onto the ATV track. They aren't labeled though, so probably a pretty defensible mistake :)

And then not too far away is SMORR: https://www.smorr.net

I've not been there yet, but it's got a pretty extensive set of trails of all different ratings. It just costs money, and I'm cheap lol.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I live in Columbia MO, and southern MO has the Mark Twain National Forest areas that have fire roads and such you can drive on. I've camped and driven around Cobb Ridge:

Looks to be about 6 hours from Omaha, but the campground there is pretty good, and if you're into it there are some primitive sites in fields along the fire roads you can camp in.

The fun trails are the ones restricted to ATV's under 50" in width, but I've found myself accidentally on some of those trails :) They are pretty fun, and have everything you'd want: rocky climbs, water crossings (not too deep or fast), deep forest. The trails are narrow, and technically you'd get in trouble from any national park ranger if you accidentally took a wrong turn onto the ATV track. They aren't labeled though, so probably a pretty defensible mistake :)

And then not too far away is SMORR: https://www.smorr.net

I've not been there yet, but it's got a pretty extensive set of trails of all different ratings. It just costs money, and I'm cheap lol.
Sounds like fun! My 6 hours is fine, I generally range to a limit of 8 hour drive for weekend excursions! I had read about SMORR to. Not certain Id want to camp there, but looks to be cool spots nearby!

Thanks for the info!

Ruby

Reaction score
Honestly, it sounds cheesy, but getting instagram and following offroad accounts has been super helpful. (You can find what accounts actually run their jeeps by just going through reels)

Latest posts

Members online