EVIC "CHECK TPM SYSTEM" on a 2005 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an early build (7/2004) 2005 model Liberty Limited. The Jeep hasn't been driven much lately; last I took it out I got a warning for low tire pressure at the spare tire. Corrected that & the dash light went off. Drove down the road a bit, then the light came back on the dash & the EVIC displayed "CHECK TPM SYSTEM" - - never to go off since. All the tires have the correct pressure.

Now, according to the service manual, the 2005+ models have "trigger" or "transponder" in 3 of the 4 wheel wells. Not so in my 2005 - so I assume I have a 2004 set-up that sends the signals straight from the wheel sensors to the SKREEM Module.

So how in the @#!* do you know which wheel has a bad sensor??

Also, I tried the TPMS Reset Procedure detailed below (for a 2004), but my EVIC shows no option in the menu for "RETRAIN TIRE SENSOR" at all.

1. Inflate all tires to pressure indicated on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition to ON position. (engine off)
3. Press and release the MENU button on the overhead console until the message RETRAIN TIRE SENSOR-NO is displayed.
4. Press the STEP button to select YES.
5. Press the MENU button to start the relearn process. The EVIC will display the message, TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE.
6. Starting at LF tire, place relearn magnet over valve stem until horm sounds.
7. After horn sounds, proceed as in step 5 for the next 3 sensors in this order: RF, RR, LR, SP (if equipped).
8. Once the EVIC displays the message TRAINING COMPLETE, depress the STEP, C/T, RESET, or MENU buttons to exit the relearn procedure.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it give you a pressure readout?

It does sound like you have the 04 setup since you have use the magnet to train. Pretty sure mine use to say something similar to that, but it didnt say check TPM system. Sometimes mine would also have a -- for the PSI of whatever sensor had a low battery. I bought 5 new sensors.

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it give you a pressure readout?

It does sound like you have the 04 setup since you have use the magnet to train. Pretty sure mine use to say something similar to that, but it didnt say check TPM system. Sometimes mine would also have a -- for the PSI of whatever sensor had a low battery. I bought 5 new sensors.

Nah ... I've never seen a pressure read out (or figured out how to get it to show). I'm assuming I'll need the magnet method too ... as I don't see a "trigger" or "transponder" in 3 of the 4 wheel wells.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a transmitter mounted near each wheel on my ‘06. I had one replaced at the dealer, but looks like my main brain is dead. The Jeep dealer here has a terrible service department, I won’t ever go back.

Members online

No members online now.