EVIC 4th Wire Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apex

Reaction score
Hey guys, desperately need help with the 4th wire in my EVIC install.

I have the link to the famous OTIS/EVIC thread, but it doesn't tell you where to splice the last wire. He simply says to find a wire that's hot when the ignition is switched to "on". Aren't you supposed to have the battery unplugged when doing electronic mods to your car? How is it possible to find a wire that's hot when the battery is out? I don't understand this huge hole in an otherwise awesome write-up.

I'm at the tail end of my power steering pump install and I had the battery and tray out to get the pump out. Got it back in, and I figured I'd go ahead and finish the EVIC wiring. I'm one wire away from completion, even got my temp sensor installed. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever think about finding the place to connect before taking the battery loose?

Apex

Reaction score
Solved my problem, wired it into the rear cargo AC adapter. Just used a voltimeter and a safety pin to find a wire after I plugged my battery back in. I spent a good portion of my day tackling a new power steering pump install and wasted a lot of time and energy getting the pulley on. I was braindead when it came time to wire the EVIC so don't judge :D

The temp doesn't work though, I made sure I got a 56042749AJ EVIC to go with my 04' KJ, and I'm pretty sure I plugged the sensor in all the way.

This is the sensor I bought: BWD Air Temperature Sensor WT3200: Purchase the best Ambient Air Temperature Sensor at Advance Auto Parts

I'm about to go check the connection and the PCI bus wire splicing, I have the -- instead of digits on the temp indicator screen, write-up says that's what the two possible problems are.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4th wire can be tapped into a fuse in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash. You'll need an add-a-fuse to do so; the ignition switched fuse is shown in this picture. If I remember correctly it's fuse location 30. Hope this helps!

You must be registered for see images

Bob

Apex

Reaction score
More or less what I did......

I checked my PCI Bus wiring and took off the grill and checked the AA sensor, and still --. All functions on the EVIC work; MPG, Elapsed Time, Compass, etc., even the higher custom functions like the flash lights with door locks and all others. I obviously have the premium BCM, fog lights and keyless entry were factory. The only things I can think of are the sensor itself being no good, or my BCM needing to be flashed to accept new settings, which wouldn't make much sense considering EVERYTHING else works. The sensor is probably the culprit, more so because it's not an OEM part. I'll order one from the Chrysler dealership, and take this one back to Advance.

EDIT: I heard that most KJs come with a temperature sensor from the factory with or without the EVIC, which is probably true but I couldn't tell due to deer damage. I replaced the grill and grill support a few weeks ago, took the old broken plug out, but couldn't tell if it was just a plug or a sensor because it was shattered. Water on feathers I suppose.

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
Update/Bump.

I tried the new sensor today, a Chrysler factory one. Still nothing.

I remember reading somewhere that only EVICs from 04' KJs will work in 04' KJs as far as the temperature is concerned. Can anybody else vouch for this?

If so, does anyone have the model numbers for the 04' KJ EVICs?

Latest posts

Members online