Every time I re-fuel it shoots out filler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

string

Reaction score
Every time I re-fuel it shoots out filler neck!!! and run's down the rear quarter panel :freak3:

is this normal for libby's?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope ,at least not our '03
I know it is an issue for TJ's with a Kilby fuel tank skid
If you put the filler all the way in it kicks off
If you put it to close to the top some gas will run out
No big deal I may fill the tank 6 times a year
Most of the time it is only getting a few gallons
Basically put the filler all the way in and the pump should
stop automatically if not try a different station

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only seen this issue if I try to "top it up" after the pump stops. Unlike many other vehicles which seem to take another 1/2 gallon or so, when the pump stops, it's full!

I have had it overflow without stopping a couple of times, but I blame that on the particular pump not working properly, as it normally stops before overflowing.

Trap

Reaction score
I have only seen this issue if I try to "top it up" after the pump stops. Unlike many other vehicles which seem to take another 1/2 gallon or so, when the pump stops, it's full!

I have had it overflow without stopping a couple of times, but I blame that on the particular pump not working properly, as it normally stops before overflowing.

Same with our 2010KK, everything is fine until I try to add a little extra then is splashes back out.

Trap

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this issue regularly on my 2007. I fill it with the nozzle wide open until I know there's only a couple of gallons left to go, and then I'll finish with the nozzle about 1/2 way. The auto-stop on the pump still works and I don't get the spillage.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think this is an issue with most Chrysler vehicles. I've heard people have the same difficulty with Sebrings too...

In either case...yes I get the same problem. However, I can't stop the monkeys that pump gas in NJ from letting it leak all down the quarter panel of my Libby...I've probably had to pay for at least 5 gallons of gas in a year's span of gas that just leaked right back into the ground. :disgust:

Who needs the clear coat anyway?

string

Reaction score
I think this is an issue with most Chrysler vehicles. I've heard people have the same difficulty with Sebrings too...

In either case...yes I get the same problem. However, I can't stop the monkeys that pump gas in NJ from letting it leak all down the quarter panel of my Libby...I've probably had to pay for at least 5 gallons of gas in a year's span of gas that just leaked right back into the ground. :disgust:

Who needs the clear coat anyway?
Yah Me 2, I let the thing stop and all of a sudden it's running down My quarter panel and there is a puddle underneath it. I am afraid that it's going to explode!!!! LoL

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Stick the nozzle all the way in, as far as it can go, then back it out about a half inch or so.

Problem solved. (At least for me...)

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick the nozzle all the way in, as far as it can go, then back it out about a half inch or so.

Problem solved. (At least for me...)
That is impossible for people who live in NJ and can't pump their own gas.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is impossible for people who live in NJ and can't pump their own gas.

Let them do everything until its time to acutally pump the fuel and just get out and tell the assistant your tank has over flow issues and you'll pump the fuel to pervent a spill.

I've done it before in NJ with my KJ since my Tank will overflow as well.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines done it since new. Only issue is when you "top" off. Shake it a bit, you might get another liter in there.

Usually tell Full service folk to stop when it shuts off and no other issue.

Takes the fuel no problem, no need to back out the pump. Its just full. Don't top off and its a non issue.

There are a bunch of "claims" on one of the sites for recalls / complaints with this issue. Apparently you have it or you don't sort of thing.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines done it since new. Only issue is when you "top" off. Shake it a bit, you might get another liter in there.

Usually tell Full service folk to stop when it shuts off and no other issue.

Takes the fuel no problem, no need to back out the pump. Its just full. Don't top off and its a non issue.

There are a bunch of "claims" on one of the sites for recalls / complaints with this issue. Apparently you have it or you don't sort of thing.

This isn't a "topping off" issue. If the pump is left on full flow, when the auto shutoff engages a good cup or so of gas spits out and runs down the quarter panel.

Like I said - for the last couple of gallons, just fill it at about 1/2 flow. Seems to work well for mine.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isn't a "topping off" issue. If the pump is left on full flow, when the auto shutoff engages a good cup or so of gas spits out and runs down the quarter panel.

Like I said - for the last couple of gallons, just fill it at about 1/2 flow. Seems to work well for mine.

Your method works for me as well.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had the same issue for years now too.
Just manually pump with the 1/2 flow trick and I never top it off b/c topping off actually makes you pay for gas you don't get.
Okies know their gasoline!

msmoorenburg

Reaction score
The check valve in the tank is bad and is a non serviceable part. I ended up replacing the tank with a new one (300ish) but now only fill till the first click or you will get a shower

randrson

Reaction score
same problem here, and the dealer confirmed that the only fix is a new tank-they know the issue,but don't want to eat the cost.

I took mine to the dealer after I had bought it a year agao, and they didn't want to cover under their bumoer-bumper 3 month/3000 warranty, and that was the last time I will go back to that dealer to purchase or service.

Same as everyone else, I deal with it by knowing i'm at about the last gallon or two and just slow it down so it doesn't vomit 87 back on my shoes.