ESP vs. LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find any recent info on this subject.

I want to put limited slip differential, but i've got ESP.
Are they going to interfere with each other in any way?

Because i've read that ESP applies brakes on the slipping wheel and that is why after ESP has become standart on Limited editions, LSD were no longer availiable, in real situation i feel the engine being suffocated by the ESP, not the brakes applied.
What's up with that? Anyone have both?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be fine.

A limited slip or locker will just prevent a wheel from slipping, therefore, ESP/TCS/whatever acronym is appropriate will not activate :)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pairing the TC with a GOOD LSD will be almost the same
as having a selectable locker that works automatically
when wheel spins the TC puts onthe breaks to that wheel
an open diff will send some power to the traction wheel
and you will make forward progress
with an LSD it will be amplified 10X
but do almost nothing on the road

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually didn't understand what you just wrote.

I say the ESP doesn't brake any wheel, it just cuts the acceleration to prevent more spinnage, thats it. If it did break the spinning wheel, that would be as good as limited slip.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually didn't understand what you just wrote.

I say the ESP doesn't brake any wheel, it just cuts the acceleration to prevent more spinnage, thats it. If it did break the spinning wheel, that would be as good as limited slip.

Youre a little confused. ESP doesnt keep the wheels from spinning, traction control does. Most people get those confused. Traction control DOES apply brakes to the wheels that are spinning. ESP keeps the jeep from sliding sideways. Far as I know both can reduce engine power when needed.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youre a little confused. ESP doesnt keep the wheels from spinning, traction control does. Most people get those confused. Traction control DOES apply brakes to the wheels that are spinning. ESP keeps the jeep from sliding sideways. Far as I know both can reduce engine power when needed.

Agreed

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Than why the hell every description of Liberty says it does? :)

I knew they were lying!

So which LSD should i get with ESP?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TCS DOES limit slip. I've seen it and experienced it in my 2007. It brakes the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other wheel on the axle.

ESP is supposed to keep you from rolling.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 2006, I imagine that you have TCS.

Do you have the little button on the steering column? If you spin the tires in the rain, does a light go on in the lower middle of the dashboard that looks like two skid marks?

If so, you have TCS.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all 2006 libertys have ESP, traction control, ABS, BAS, and ARM.

I would think a Detroit True Trac or a factory limited slip would be fine. Detroit TT is the way to go really.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
The TCS is a sub program of the ESP. When the ESP button is pressed, It limits the BLD function of the TCS system while also taking off the throttle limiter which is controlled by the ESP system :D

kopkrab.gifkopkrab.gifkopkrab.gif

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Also, no problem to installing a LSD in a ESP equipped KJ/KK. I had a aussie locker in mine without any problems

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ask me, adding a limited slip differential to a vehicle with a traction control system is redundant. I don't have any real life experience with the two working together, but I imagine the two could interfere with each other. Most likely one would simply render the other useless.

For example, if the LSD kicks in before the TCS has a chance to do it's job, the TCS won't do anything. If the TCS kicks in before the LSD kicks in, the LSD wouldn't do anything.

I think the money invested in an LSD could be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ask me, adding a limited slip differential to a vehicle with a traction control system is redundant. I don't have any real life experience with the two working together, but I imagine the two could interfere with each other. Most likely one would simply render the other useless.

For example, if the LSD kicks in before the TCS has a chance to do it's job, the TCS won't do anything. If the TCS kicks in before the LSD kicks in, the LSD wouldn't do anything.

I think the money invested in an LSD could be better spent elsewhere.
Yeah a full locker:D.

A good LSD will always act faster then the ESP and all that crap,the only good one that comes to mind that will work faster is the DTT.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Speaking about LSD, the first time i got out in mud, i thought ESP would shut off automatically in 4 part-time. How surprised was i when the engine felt stalling the time i was trying to climb a muddy hill. It didn't add any freaking traction at all! Moreover it was getting me stuck. The moment i turned it off, KJ jumped right on the hill with no problems.
I wish i had LSD from the factory and not the ESP.
Also i like the feeling of LSD when cornering, lets you drift alittle (yeh yeh, drifting on a jeep... :) ), without it one of the wheels just starts spinning and nothing happens.

bobcat7

Reaction score
I put an Aussie Locker in my '06 about 700 miles ago. Usually turn off the ESP with the dash button. In rain I find that the locker takes over and I don't have the hesitation that you have without the locker. Probably will be getting snow here soon so that will be the real test.
Just didn't like trying to get out into traffic and stepping on the gas and having the vehicle hesitate because of a loss of traction, never get used to that.