ESP button ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryguy5

Reaction score
i got a 06 kj with no manual, was wondering what the esp button dose? i know it has something to do with the slip, but not sure what. thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The button on the steering column de sensitizes the ESP system...

ESP stands for electronic stability control.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ESP is a big time safety feature that can save your life. If you don't already know It's an anti skid system that controls the brakes. For example if the road is slick and your rear end starts swinging around on a turn it will automaticly apply one of the rear brakes which will prevent you from possibly recking.

Pushing that button turns it off. The only time it should be turned off is if your stuck or something. It will alow you some extra traction to get going again.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
ESP is a big time safety feature that can save your life. If you don't already know It's an anti skid system that controls the brakes. For example if the road is slick and your rear end starts swinging around on a turn it will automaticly apply one of the rear brakes which will prevent you from possibly recking.

Pushing that button turns it off. The only time it should be turned off is if your stuck or something. It will alow you some extra traction to get going again.

Oh it can Kill you :eek:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it can Kill you :eek:

Like when you're trying to take off quick from a stand still and your one wheel catches some road dirt at take off and the KJ slows to a crawl b/c the ESP kicks in.
And at this point in time your going 5-10 mph with traffic coming up ur a$$ and won't be able to gain speed until the ESP believes is has traction again.

Other than that the ESP is good to have.

Last edited:

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate esp, it doesn't let you power through anything and it gets you stuck. I take my abs pump fuse out when I off road and that helps more than using the partial mode.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate esp, it doesn't let you power through anything and it gets you stuck. I take my abs pump fuse out when I off road and that helps more than using the partial mode.

Can't you not turn it off?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
So ... did ya check it BryGuy? Just above the glove box (when opened) kinda hidden by the Holy Crap" Bar ....

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad i don't have that crap on my 03'... We had that traction control crap on the Montana we used to have, it did have a switch to disable it on the dash though and i kept it disabled all winter long. Nothing scarier than getting on ice AND having traction control wig out and start doing weird things to you, been there...

I prefer to keep control of the vehicle to myself.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad i don't have that crap on my 03'... We had that traction control crap on the Montana we used to have, it did have a switch to disable it on the dash though and i kept it disabled all winter long. Nothing scarier than getting on ice AND having traction control wig out and start doing weird things to you, been there...

I prefer to keep control of the vehicle to myself.

kb....I am with you here. 05 was the last year without all that electronic stuff.

Dave