esp button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
It is for the electronic traction control which is tired in to the electronic stability program. Basically the KK limits throttle when it notices to much wheel spin or excessive body roll....

IT *****!!

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
When you go to 4lo in the KK, it turns off the stability program, how ever the traction control modulates the brakes to help reduce wheel spin... kinda acts like a locker....

photograjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally esp *****. Especially if you are freewheeling. You can trick it by lightly tapping the brakes though. Digger, I don't know what you are talking about in 4lo though

asuwins

Reaction score
Normally esp *****. Especially if you are freewheeling. You can trick it by lightly tapping the brakes though. Digger, I don't know what you are talking about in 4lo though

Recently I have done some nice 4 x 4 runs here in AZ. Lots of steep areas with loose Rocks. In 4lo, the EPS system automatically turns itself off and becasue of traveling at lower speeds. In 4 Hi, I have left the EPS both on and off and have noticed very limited performance difference. I think that is probably because in rougher terrain, your already in 4lo and operating at slower speeds. I imagine the EPS system has benefit for 4HI operations on the highway such as would be used in winter highway or road travel on snow or Ice. I would love to hear other experineces with the EPS.

I have found the downhill assist to be of benefit on steep downhills since I'm not needing to use the brakes as much and have better steering control.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
ESP is short for Electronic Stability Program, which is part of traction control. With ESP on, your wheels won't spin when you stomp on the gas, especially with wet or slippery conditions. When driving, and you take a bend and begin to lose traction, it applies brakes to the appropriate wheels to keep you from skidding out of control. You will see the light blink when it detects wheel spin when gassing.

BAS = Braking Assist System, which is different from ESP. This system detects circumstances in which emergency braking is required, by measuring the speed with which the brake pedal is depressed. It automatically produces the maximum brake boost in order to mitigate a drivers tendency to brake without enough force. Like, when you panic and stomp the brakes REAL fast? It detects how fast the gas pedal was released (some systems do, not sure about ours), and how hard the brake pedal was depressed right after that, and brakes accordingly. If this system does it; It measures the time it took you to completely remove your foot from the gas, then go to brake, for braking assist.

Mine, however, has a mind of its own. When I have 50lbs of weight in the cargo area, and two people in the back seats? I will be driving STRAIGHT, and the brakes just start applying on their own. Then, the THREE lights come on and BING, it errors out. I slow down, it all resets, then does it again. If I turn ESP off, it doesn't brake or do anything but Bing, and ERROR, then reset; then, I have to turn it OFF each time it resets from the error. It works fine when there is no weight in the cargo area. If it is just me and weight in the cargo, it's fine. Me and rear passengers, it's fine. It's only when I have rear passengers, AND about 50lbs of weight in the cargo area, it does that. I experimented with tire pressures, from 37lbs to 48lbs, and it does it... I am beginning to think now, it is because when I bought it, it has two different sets of tires on it. They are the same size tires all the way around, but the front ones are a different tread pattern, and MFR.

When I bought it, the left and right tires of both front and back were miss matched. I had to move them (reverse rotate) to match front 2 and back 2. SO, who ever rotated the tires, did not just go BACK to FRONT, they crossed them, and ended up making the FR and RL the same tire, and FL, and RR the same tire. SO, when I get in the car now, it is habit that I just turn ESP off. When the snow starts, I won't be doing that though.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ESP is short for Electronic Stability Program, which is part of traction control. With ESP on, your wheels won't spin when you stomp on the gas, especially with wet or slippery conditions. When driving, and you take a bend and begin to lose traction, it applies brakes to the appropriate wheels to keep you from skidding out of control. You will see the light blink when it detects wheel spin when gassing.

BAS = Braking Assist System, which is different from ESP. This system detects circumstances in which emergency braking is required, by measuring the speed with which the brake pedal is depressed. It automatically produces the maximum brake boost in order to mitigate a drivers tendency to brake without enough force. Like, when you panic and stomp the brakes REAL fast? It detects how fast the gas pedal was released (some systems do, not sure about ours), and how hard the brake pedal was depressed right after that, and brakes accordingly. If this system does it; It measures the time it took you to completely remove your foot from the gas, then go to brake, for braking assist.

Mine, however, has a mind of its own. When I have 50lbs of weight in the cargo area, and two people in the back seats? I will be driving STRAIGHT, and the brakes just start applying on their own. Then, the THREE lights come on and BING, it errors out. I slow down, it all resets, then does it again. If I turn ESP off, it doesn't brake or do anything but Bing, and ERROR, then reset; then, I have to turn it OFF each time it resets from the error. It works fine when there is no weight in the cargo area. If it is just me and weight in the cargo, it's fine. Me and rear passengers, it's fine. It's only when I have rear passengers, AND about 50lbs of weight in the cargo area, it does that. I experimented with tire pressures, from 37lbs to 48lbs, and it does it... I am beginning to think now, it is because when I bought it, it has two different sets of tires on it. They are the same size tires all the way around, but the front ones are a different tread pattern, and MFR.

When I bought it, the left and right tires of both front and back were miss matched. I had to move them (reverse rotate) to match front 2 and back 2. SO, who ever rotated the tires, did not just go BACK to FRONT, they crossed them, and ended up making the FR and RL the same tire, and FL, and RR the same tire. SO, when I get in the car now, it is habit that I just turn ESP off. When the snow starts, I won't be doing that though.

Mine was doing the same thing after playing in mud and water more than I should have. Brakes were fine all the way around with no sticking (took calipers off just to make dang sure) but the rear had crap on the teeth for what I assume is the ABS sensor and had rust built up in places. Cleaned everything up very well and life is good.

On our dodge sprinters, if the alignment is out it will throw a code and show the check engine light and traction control light, but not apply the brakes like we had.

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 2010 liberty and the esp makes a grinding noise when activated (when it senses wheel spin....i let off the gas and everything is good), is this a normal thing? it seems to work but the noise is strange.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
i just bought a 2010 liberty and the esp makes a grinding noise when activated (when it senses wheel spin....i let off the gas and everything is good), is this a normal thing? it seems to work but the noise is strange.
Yep :D That is the ABS pump working..... it's completely normal

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys....sorry for hijacking the thread. first time i had a 4 wheel drive with this. but thanks for the answer.